Custom cables made easy

GoldenMotor.com

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
When I get ready to put control cables on one of my bikes, I get them all draped and routed the way it looks best, cut to length, and fitted with the correct ends with a professional cable making kit I purchased online. You can buy everything separately or in kit form. I bought a 50' roll of cable, 50' roll of conduit, an assortment of cable ends, solder, flux and a melting pot. I plug the pot in and when the solder is melted, I can make all the cables at one time, making sure they're perfect. Flanders offers all this and it's really high quality. You get your choice of cable. I went with fine stranded for flexibility. I use the same for throttle, brakes, compression release and clutch. When I need to make cables for motorcycles, I will purchase larger cable, conduit and end assortment. Sure you can melt solder with a propane torch and make your own ends, but this is the professional way real shops do it. It's an investment, but with all the bikes we make, it should pay for itself in convenience.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Very cool. For anyone fabricating lots of cables it would be just the thing. Post a link for those who are interested, please. And thanks for sharing this.
Tom

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Very cool MSR! Have been looking. Thank you.

Flanders Cable Parts Search Results

How much did they charge for all you have pictured? Looks perfect.

Always nice to have on hand. I stopped running to the hardware store for this bolt or that fitting. If I need one, I buy a box or assortments. Your right, pays for it self with Convenience and gas, time and wanting to scream because your one bolt, nut or washer from being able to finish or continue.

Thanks for sharing your find

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Hey Dan. I spent just under $200 for the stuff in the photo. The melting pot was around $75 alone. A metal cup and propane torch will do the same but not as easy. There's always something to be said for the "right tool". And look at all the stuff in the assortment. You get clamp on ends, solder on ends and conduit ferrules. Makes very nice cables.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Just learning that. "Right tool" thing. I get a thrill out of making due (do?, English drives me crazy) but is always harder and more importantly, does not always end-up as well made looking or functional.

Was reading your thread on your cable clamp maker and looked up some of your other threads. Some great stuff. Think I posted this on your clamp thread but I use 3 bolts, a vise and flat stock to make the "C" shape that forms, like a wide down tube adapter. Your thing would take 2 mins and only require 2 hands. Mine takes three hands and choice curse words, snork. Saving for a mini lathe/mill to make one

Just say'n, keep posting and thanks for sharing. If ya look at the numbers to the right, is on most threads read by 10 and commented on by one ratio. So great finds and ideas help more folks then mention it.

Is Sunday. My favorite day of the week. Got nutton to do but play in the shop. Mounting a new HF (always a high) and listen to NPR. Click and Clack the car guys. Home Prairie Companion. Laughing and tinkering on a sunny fall day. Just awesome. Just have to wait for the house and neighbors to wake. Now just killing time b4 making some noise and scrap.

brnot

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
You can buy a brake cable for a tandem bike, a length of housing & all the ends for under $10. (That's long enough to make any cable you'll ever need.)
It's also real easy to make one into a throttle cable with only a soldering iron & some silver solder. :)

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
The Rotary outdoor equipment catalog offers a nice universal 100" cable with conduit and different ends for under $10.00. You don't have to buy all this expensive equipment and parts, but for all the use I get out of them, it's worth it to me. How are some of you guys going to know what's available if someone doesn't point it out? That link to Flanders is a great source of parts and tools. Can't have enough info in this hobby.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Thanks for the encouragement, Dan. I'll keep posting as long as I think I'm helping the hobby. Everybody knows the "right tool" is not the only tool, and I'm continuously amazed at what all you builders accomplish with what you have.