Noob with a problem

GoldenMotor.com

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
I bought a used Gary Fisher mountain bike with a Skyhawk motor and a broken chain for $100

The motor supposedly ran and I figured for the price I at least had a good bike and a bucket full or kit parts

The problem I'm am having is that the motor seems to have compression only half the time

When I first tried to start it I would pedal and sometimes I would get good compression and it sounded like it would start, and sometimes it had nothing

I put it on a stand and pedaled by hand with the clutch engaged
Half a sprocket worth of turning had compression and half did not

Any ideas, or am I looking at the wrong thing

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Might look in the clutch side(water drop shape)and see if the little gear is cracked or there is some metal powder(shavings) around the small gear,,,If the motor is on the bike and the clutch handle works ,you mightlock the handle and adjust the flower nut(clutch adj.)while the cover is off

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
I bought a used Gary Fisher mountain bike with a Skyhawk motor and a broken chain for $100

The motor supposedly ran and I figured for the price I at least had a good bike and a bucket full or kit parts

The problem I'm am having is that the motor seems to have compression only half the time

When I first tried to start it I would pedal and sometimes I would get good compression and it sounded like it would start, and sometimes it had nothing

I put it on a stand and pedaled by hand with the clutch engaged
Half a sprocket worth of turning had compression and half did not

Any ideas, or am I looking at the wrong thing
You sir...have a long road ahead of you! From reading your post, it is impossible to diagnose what is going on!

Once a bike is run-in a bit, I can stand beside it, lift the rear wheel, and kick start it with the pedals...by hand, not a chance!

Jim

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
No no
Wasn't trying to kick it over by hand
just checking the compression issue

I noticed the on again off again compression issue while I was trying to pedal it off

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
Haven't had time to work on anything yet, but I will check the clutch tomorrow

If that doesn't do it I'll just buy another motor kit

I'm gonna need some of the parts for my grand daughter's bike anyway

Dougan

Apr 5, 2010
wisconsin
Has to be the clutch.

Easy to find out too. Just take teh cover off of the clutch and do what you were doing. See if both gears are always moving.