posted exhaust...

GoldenMotor.com

peeduh

May 27, 2009
Texas
After checking into how a few people were porting their exhaust I decided to do mine, then my roommate decided to do his. Mine isn't running right now, but his is and when he tried it out there was a noticeable difference in performance.
I don't know about the whole 1/2hp gain cause I don't have any way to prove it, but the usual hesitation and response seemed to be eliminated.
A def do for just the sake of bein easy on your motor. Just sayin
I was gonna port the intake, but the mouth of the motor is bugger than the intake tube. Would there be a change if I did the intake tube as well since the tube all the way to the carb is still gonna be the same diameter?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
yeah. try to match the manifold port to the intake port as much as you can, but be carefull, the manifold usually doesn't have enough "meat" on it to match perfectly, so if you go overboard with the dremel, you can comprimise it's strength.

also, get rid of the "casting flash" on the inside, around the bend of it.

peeduh

May 27, 2009
Texas
Is the casting flash the rolled up card board part? If it is, i can't figure out how to get the metal piece out.

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
casting flash is the crap left behind when the aluminum was poured into the intake manifold shape. basically burrs and junk.

and yeah, i was talking about the intake.

the cardboard thing in the exhaust isn't going to come out. they weld those in pretty good.

peeduh

May 27, 2009
Texas
Does that cardboard really serve a purpose other than some gov reg bull? I think if anything it'd restrict some air flow and just pour some gasoline on it to soak it and light it on fire to burn it out. ha

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
it just looks like cardboard. it's actually metal. Barely Awake cut one in half, but i can't find the thread. it's supposed to be a catalytic converter, but it's just a piece of junk in there. i tried to knock one out but it's stuck in there good.

you could just spend the extra cash and get an expansion chamber from SBP, 'cause there's not much that can be done with the stock pipe besides making your bike louder.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
It really isn't that restrictive unless.....you haven't tried to knock it out have you? lol