Burned Oil in Muffler??

GoldenMotor.com

Kevron99

Aug 11, 2009
Howell, New Jersey
What could be the cause of having a burnt (thick black) oil under the end tip of the muffler? I have been searching and looking for possible cause but cant seem to find it? I am baffled...Any suggestion?

See pics. Oild where the red arrow..

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
What fuel mix ratio are you running? All 2 stroke engines will expell oil as the oil is not actually burned but used only as lubrication. It has to go somehwere. The higher the oil content, the more oil you can expect to see at the exhaust.
Tom

Kevron99

Aug 11, 2009
Howell, New Jersey
Tom,
I am using opti 2 100:1 mix. The 1.8oz to a gallon. Its running very good with this oil and no smoke...but just wondering where the oil comes from...

Thanks also Venice.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Tom,
I am using opti 2 100:1 mix. The 1.8oz to a gallon. Its running very good with this oil and no smoke...but just wondering where the oil comes from...

Thanks also Venice.
Kev, That's unusual for the Opti-2.
I too run Opti @ 100:1 and do not have the problem. In fact there is little to no oil residue from the mufflers of any of my bikes. I'm wondering of that muffler you're using has anything to do with it but I don't see why it should. As long as your engine is running good and the spark plug reading is saying things are okay, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Tom

Kevron99

Aug 11, 2009
Howell, New Jersey
Kev, That's unusual for the Opti-2.
I too run Opti @ 100:1 and do not have the problem. In fact there is little to no oil residue from the mufflers of any of my bikes. I'm wondering of that muffler you're using has anything to do with it but I don't see why it should. As long as your engine is running good and the spark plug reading is saying things are okay, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Tom
My plugs looks OK at very light brown in color. I think it only happens when I use the headlight as it runs via the white wire,...could it be the cause robbing power therefore the plugs not efficiently burning the fuel?

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I say better an oily mixture than a blown engine- unless the plug fouls up- I have this condition now with a poo poo pipe that I can't yet ream- I didn't notice it when I drilled an extra hole or two in the back plate of the muffler-

I didn't like the end cap having a smaller opening than the exhaust manifold- and I never noticed oil before with standard yet drilled exhaust-

the downside?- I lost the end cap when it came off! If you drill it, make sure it's tight then- and it's probably just a shade louder

PS- this billet intake works great! I still haven't yet put the NTS 66 carb on, it's running so well with the old stock carb- about $15 from creative engineering and Pirates.

Attachments

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I didn't like the end cap having a smaller opening than the exhaust manifold...
BTW, the reason for that even with a proper tuned exhaust is a certain amount of exhaust backpressure is needed with a 2 stroke to prevent unburned fuel/air mixture passing right through the cylinder & into the exhaust.

I suspect Kevron's deposits are prolly normal however *shrug*

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Oil goes in, oil comes out. But even with my cheap $3 2-stroke oil, i never have any smoke come out,not even in winter. sometimes i have a litle oil residue on the end of my muffler and under bike frame, but a little wipe after it cools off and no problems.