Engine top end rebuild and an engine stand

GoldenMotor.com

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
torque pattern that I used and I forgot to show me putting on the head.

A little dab of grease on the gears for good luck

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Grease the other side it will help hold the ball and short rod in place. I don't know if you noticed or not but I don't like to work on shlty things I have to at work but not here I've been so greasy and oily I could wring out my underwear form rolling in oil and grease while doing an industrial engine/compressor, so I take the time to clean stuff up.

something I forgot a light sanding on the engine mounts helps to smooth them out, knocks off any rough raised areas that will later wear down and cause your engine to jump ship. doing the front mount. emery cloth and frame tube of proper size well its kind of close to the right size.

rear mount getting it as well and I hate sanding ask me about building a composite airplane what a sanding contest that was 2years of it and I quit and stuck my homemade engine on it and been flying it since 1985 and still works and hasn't killed me YET got some skid marks in the shorts tho form some of my festivity's

the end hope this helps and doesn't confuse you more if it does don't work on an engine take it to someone who can. Naw! Jump in there and get NASTY.
Norman

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
very nicely done norman(^). gonna tear down my engine when i get back from hawaii and rebuild it. one quick question. any special grease you recomend? also what kind of oil on piston and cyclinder? i want to make my motorized bicycle purr like a kitten

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
very nicely done norman(^). gonna tear down my engine when i get back from hawaii and rebuild it. one quick question. any special grease you recomend? also what kind of oil on piston and cyclinder? i want to make my motorized bicycle purr like a kitten
Use what you have for grease a good auto grease works for me. The oil I used to assemble the engine was penz 10w/30 I think its been in the engine assembly can for a while might even be a syn. Don't know for sure oil is important no oil is a disaster looking for a place to happen. you could use the mermix oil but I'd most likely use engine oil and weight / grade to me is not important if I'm building and starting it the same day or in a day or two. For longer storage there is an assembly lube to use but I don't have any on my shelves so I use plain engine oil.
Norman

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Wow - thanks for the clutch arm-vise grip trick!!

I need to replace my clutch handle, adjust the clutch internally and I have a sneaking suspicion there is zero lube on the little ball.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i read all the motorized bicycle forums. i have to say your instructions and pictures you provided us is by far the best i have ever seen. again nice job norman(^)

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Norman is not only knowledgeable he is also generous with his time and knowledge. If it weren't for Norman I would still be sitting around staring at my bike parts. I like Norman's can do attitude. He always helped me feel that, in spite of the fact I had little experience with these things, I could do it without any problems at all.

Not many people really do want you to succeed. Most want you to succeed if it benefits them. I have to say Norman is the purest teacher I have met on a forum yet. That in no way diminishes what anyone else has done to help me. I appreciate all of your advice I really do.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Aww your making me blush again. I'm at it again I did a tear down of the clutch and working on pictures and such how to adjust etc. Man my poor engine is getting the RED headed stepchild treatment being tore apart and nothing is wrong with it. I will need to look for replacement bushing for the rod as the bushing in my rod are getting loose so if some one has bushing or bearing at a reasonable price pm me please?! I'll do a picture and text story on the replacement and sooner or later I'm going to take one of these little booger down to the bare bones if I can I think I'll have to make some tools to disassemble the crank I hope I can.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
do a seperate thread for the clutch please norman and i will make it a sticky also. i can't wait to see it :D

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Doing a clutch how to.

Its being "done as we speak" as some people would say, that I used to work with good bunch of guys, we all were growning one leg longer than the other then. We all worked in the mountains and thats what happens.

MikeJ

May 3, 2009
Colorado Springs
Hi Norm -

New guy and new purchaser here. A question about head nut torque, please... I was checking the new 66cc Nantong engine, fresh from factory (unpainted model). The head nuts are 10mm. I used my own moment-arm and weight system as a calibrated torque socket wrench: A rachet handle with light copper pipe extending horizontally outward. I have read that head torque should be 12 ft-lbs (8 pounds at 1.5 feet). But I measure the headbolts and I don't even think I am getting 6 ft-lbs of torque resistance. I tightened each headbolt nut about 10 degrees and stopped. I am not getting the resistance I am expecting. I have to wonder if the studs are stretching, the head gasket is compressing, or the crankcase threads are stripping. What has been your experience when tightening down headbolt nuts?

Thanks,
MikeJ

Last edited:

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
Not many people really do want you to succeed. Most want you to succeed if it benefits them. I have to say Norman is the purest teacher I have met on a forum yet. That in no way diminishes what anyone else has done to help me. I appreciate all of your advice I really do.
I totally agree with you, I have not been to this forum in about a month. mainly due to a computer failure. And this past week i did some redo's on my 2 bikes and was curious about the some info so i came here and one of the first threads i spotted was this.

Im going to go look at my clutch pin right now and see if that ball bearing is even in there , that picture you had alone was worth something to me.

Thanks

Norman, I just want to say thank you myself for this and your many many tutorials. You have helped more than one person with your insight and humor here at this site.