Howdy! New guy from Oklahoma.

GoldenMotor.com

OKflyboy

Jan 4, 2010
Tulsa Area, OK
Hi, my name is Ara and I live in Oklahoma.

Wow! All I can say is wow...

I just learned about Motorized Bicycles a few days ago. As soon as I saw one (An add in the back of a magazine for StriderRides, in fact) I said "That's it!"

You see, I've been looking for a project for my sons and I. Something that would give me something fun to ride/drive (mini-van blues, y'know...), allow me to learn to weld, and teach my boys some basic mechanical skills. Over the past year and a half I've shifted focus through several possible projects including a Reverse trike (Indycycle/Sportcycle) and a Monster Miata, but when we started adding up total costs, these were WAAAAAA-AAAAAY over our budget. (Even consider a Hardknock Bobber kit, but even as reasonably priced as those things are, they are just too much, right now). So now we come to motorized bikes and I'm fascinated.

I've spent the past 72 hours brainstorming and have come up with a rough plan. I want a Chopper, but all I've found in my area are kids-sized Choppers. Mostly OCC Schwins. I see that Adult-sized Choppers are fetching a pretty penny, when one can find them at all. So instead I found a DIY version that suits my needs quite well.

The Atomic Zombie Vigilante (I had a IMG tagged photobucket link here, but the forum marked it as spam. :( So see attachment below, I guess)

A quick search of the forum for "Vigilante" showed no results so I'm assuming I'm the first. Its a scratch-built Chopper that I think has a really mean look to it.

Now, before anyone says it, I know the car tire for the rear wheel wouldn't work so well with a small 2-stroke. That's okay. I want gears, so I plan in running a plain ol' bike wheel with cartridge and dérailleur on the back.
For power I think a 66/80 kit and a SBC jackshaft would work out okay. I'd probably need to add a vertical tube to mount the engine and jackshaft to, of course. Also I think disc brakes front and rear would be a good idea.
A sissy bar seems appropriate (and possibly necessary. The seating position is such that without the engine, I imagine I might want/need to use my back a bit for leverage at times, like a recumbent). And finally, I thinking a Survival Bike theme would work well. With khaki frame and olive drab accessories.

Anyway. Its nice to meet you all, and I hope not only to learn a lot from y'all, but to contribute a bit, too, if I can.

I'd love to hear any comments, even if they're less then positive. I'm hoping to draw on the expertise of the forum, so if anyone sees any obvious errors, please call me on them.

Thanks!

Ara

Attachments

Last edited:

OKflyboy

Jan 4, 2010
Tulsa Area, OK
Thanks. I can't take credit for it, Atomic Zombie designed it, I'm just going to use their plans. From what I can tell, however, I may be the first to try to motorize it, though. :D

rkorson4209

Oct 10, 2009
michigan
Have you seen the redline rain city chopper? Its really nice looking, and real unique. They have a belt drive, and are really rare wich makes em cooler. I guess 1500 were made and each one is stamped with the number it was made. I've never heard of this bike until i stumbled upon it at a LBS. Thought it was pretty sweet, especially after the shop owner told me all the info about it. I really want it but just can't afford it,lol.

OKflyboy

Jan 4, 2010
Tulsa Area, OK
Thanks for the welcome, guys!

Well, after a week of debating with the wife and kiddos, we decided it would be better to put a kit on a production bike, rather then trying to DIY a bike, then DIY a motor kit onto it. I've started playing with an old mountain bike I had in the back yard. The problem with Mountain bikes, for me, is that after hurting my back at work a couple of years ago, I sometimes have a hard time stooping down, so the typical bent-over position of most mountain bikes can get painful. Then I got to reading about Comfort bikes, and wondered what it would be like if I just put BMX bars on my mountain bike.

Here's the results of that idea (Can you tell I like it?)

I'm not sure about the bike, though. It took several years sitting in the backyard in the rain and was pretty tore up. I've started playing with it, trying to get it mechanically sound again, but if I'm not confident in it as a regular bicycle by next week, then I'll probably just buy a K-Mart Special bike and motorized it, instead. (After installing BMX bars on it, of course.)

Attachments

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
It's a big annual flyin. I figured with a name like OKflyboy you were a pilot and might have possibly flown in for the event. I've flown up there a couple of times...................

OKflyboy

Jan 4, 2010
Tulsa Area, OK
Ah. Okay. No, I was in the Air Force when I first came up with this username. I'm out now but I've stuck with the same username on other forums anyway.

OKflyboy

Jan 4, 2010
Tulsa Area, OK
Still here. Just waiting on my tax return so I can spend some real money. Here's what I've been up to with no money:

Its my first attempt at painting anything cammo, but I think it turned out okay...

Hopefully have my Federal tax return on Friday, then its time for a 66cc slant head motor kit (Still deciding on the vendor) and a SBP jackshaft and expansion chamber. Can't wait!!!

Attachments

OKflyboy

Jan 4, 2010
Tulsa Area, OK
This morning I bought the shift kit from Thatsdax, bought my rack and helmet from Amazon, and I put a "Best Offer" on a Slant head Motor kit on ebay (I thought Best Offers were kinda like reserves, if you hit it it would agree, of not, it wouldn't. Had I known that they seller reviewed them, and had 48 hours to get back to you I would have just paid the BIN price. I want it to ship ASAP...)

I'm still debating the SBP expansion chamber, at $65 +shipping, it would add significant expense to the build. I think I may install without it, and see how satisfied I am with the power the stock exhaust gives first.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Oh, ya just gotta love new toy lists FTW lol (^)

Sounds like ya've got a heck of a build in the works, defo lookin' forward to seein' it!

I got the SBP expansion chamber after runnin' the stock can for a few hundred miles, it's defo worth the money. Still, it's not such a bad idea to work the kinks out of a build, then worry the performance upgrades *shrug*

ofc - I don't always follow my own advice either ;)

OKflyboy

Jan 4, 2010
Tulsa Area, OK
Thanks guys!

Performance wise my commute to work would take me across a busy 4-lane bridge with a 45mph speed limit. I'm not looking for a speed-demon and I think 45mph would be way too fast for me to be comfortable on a bicycle, but I don't want to get creamed on this bridge, either. If it can keep a comfortable 30-35mph, I'll be a happy camper.

T0lly

Aug 11, 2009
Sapulpa, OK
Welcome to the forum. And good to see another Okie interested in motobikes.
I live in Sapulpa, OK and built my first bike a few months ago. They are fun to build and ride.
I would be happy to show you my bike and show you the tweaks I have done to make it more reliable.
Take it for a ride to see what it feels like. I am gathering parts for my next build which is going to be a chopper.
I have a welder, CNC plasma table, and few other tools good for making custom parts and mods. If you need something let me know.

My first build http://motorbicycling.com/f14/tollyfab-mk2-mod01-first-bike-11055.html

Last edited:

OKflyboy

Jan 4, 2010
Tulsa Area, OK
Welcome to the forum. And good to see another Okie interested in motobikes.
I live in Sapulpa, OK and built my first bike a few months ago. They are fun to build and ride.
I would be happy to show you my bike and show you the tweaks I have done to make it more reliable.
Take it for a ride to see what it feels like. I am gathering parts for my next build which is going to be a chopper.
I have a welder, CNC plasma table, and few other tools good for making custom parts and mods. If you need something let me know.

My first build http://motorbicycling.com/f14/tollyfab-mk2-mod01-first-bike-11055.html
Thanks T0lly! I'm not too far from you in Sand Springs! I'd love to check out your bike sometime!