Newbie back home from Iraq.

GoldenMotor.com

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
Hi folks, new here from Alabama and am proud to a member of such an informative site. Just wanted to say that I recently returned from Iraq where I built and drove a MB for the last seven months of my deployment. Well worth the money and time i spent on it, its not easy walking around on a FOB when it's 127 degrees outside. When others were holed up in their CHU's for fear of the heat and missing meals because it was too hot to walk 3/4 of a mile to chow I'd jump on my bike and go. Been on leave for a couple of months now and I go back to my civilian job in January at the sheriff's department. Since I've been home I've just completed my second build in the sanctuary of my garage here at home. I missed the old girl and just had to have another one, she saved me alot of wear and tear on the feet and made my deployment a lot easier. I'm also sure this is not the last build I'll do either, I believe I'm hooked.

Hambro.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Hello Hambro, Welcome to the forum we are glad you joined us.

Let me be the first to say Thank You for your service in Iraq. Good to hear that you got good use of your bike over there. We would love for you to share your build with us.

.flg.

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
Thanks fairracing31, as far as the builds go the one in Iraq was 66cc chinagirl that was mounted on a bike called a "Skink" which until then I had never heard of. The bike actually held up well though considering the conditions. I know these little 2 strokers are air cooled but man the air over there was always superheated and I don't know how she kept cool but she did. When I left from over there I sold the whole setup for 250.00 to some lucky soldier who had just gotten there from Mississippi. She was still running strong when I left. The new build is same type of motor on a brand new Schwinn bicycle bought from Walmart specifically for the motorization. I'll attempt to post some pics of both bikes soon.

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
Here are the two bikes I've built so far. I'm sure no expert but we have to start somewhere right. The one parked in front of the wall with the yellow stripe is the one that I built and rode for seven months in iraq when I wasn't out on mission.

Attachments

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
okay, it wouldn't let me post the one from iraq until i resize it which i'll attempt to do later.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Having once rented a motor bike to tour the countryside in a different part of the world, in a different time, I can attest to how much fun it is to have a small reminder of home. I hope you had some fun on that bike as well as it being practical. Sometimes things that aren't too practical can be fun but it's better if something practical is also fun.

Glad to have you home and by the way, THANK YOU

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
Thanks for all your suppport and gratitude guys, I must admit, the bikes are a lot easier to build in a peaceful environment with access to all that we have here at home. Something as small as a masterlink can put your bike out of commission over there so I did a whole bunch of preventative maintenance on that bike just to keep her in tip top shape, considering what I had to work with. Again thanks for your hospitality and making me feel right at home here, it's much appreciated.

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
I was wondering guys, are the high performance carbs straight bolt on or are there a lot of adjustments that have to be made to make them work properly? Any help would be appreciated.

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
After a little reading I've answered my own question about the carbs, I'm very new at all of this and I don't believe I have acquired the skills needed to do the adjustments on the carbs or even attempt to rejet one yet. I'm sure that'll come with time, hopefully. Meantime I'll stick with my stock carb that came with the kit. :)