Lawn Mower Engine?

GoldenMotor.com

crowley1027

Oct 16, 2011
Westerly, RI
I have a 148cc Briggs&Stratton motor on my lawn mower, was wondering if I could use it for my coast to coast trip? Is it the right kind of motor? The gas tank and air cleaner are set so it looks like I would have to mount the engine in the same direction as it sits now on the lawnmower -- Is there any way that you know of that I can remove the gastank/air cleaner, mount the engine sideways, and connect a gas tank and new air cleaner?

I don't know, I'm new to this world. Thanks for all your help.

SJN

Feb 9, 2011
Pinon Hills, CA
Dont get too attached to that engine. I Think once you look into what it will take to turn it on its side and have it run right you will find it a far better choice to start with a horizontal shaft engine.
Two things you will need is a flywheel from a horizontal shaft eng and mods to the oiling system.
That said, another eng can be found for next to nothing. The 8 hp briggs that I got for my push trailer was free! i know, I lucked out on that one. lol
One more thing to look for is a motor with a charging system to run a battery and lights.

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
I personally wouldn't use any B&S or Tecumseh engine at all. At least not for that distance. Unless you spend the extra bucks for a commercial engine. Most of these engines only have a rating of 50 hours. That's not much. It's fine on a lawnmower, snowblower or other occasional use equipment. On those they can last 10 years or longer. I would have no trouble myself paying the price for a Honda engine though. That's JMO though and you don't have to listen to anything i've just said at all.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I have a 148cc Briggs&Stratton motor on my lawn mower, was wondering if I could use it for my coast to coast trip? Is it the right kind of motor? .
Here are a couple of 5 hp Briggs powered bikes that might be able to make
it coast to coast.

The Briggs pictured are horizontal shaft motors.

The bikes were 1st and 2nd at the Willow Springs race last June and are
going to be at the SoCal race Oct 22nd at Grange in 5 days.

Built by a long time master builder msrfan

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I love MSRFAN's bikes, didnt realise his bikes placed 1st and 2nd..... nice work!!!!
Ist and 2nd in the 4 stroke class with msrfan's grandson first.

#8 magrider on a 66 cc 2 stroke China girl beat both msrfan and his
grandson in the Ultimate race so they also got 2nd and 3rd in the big race.

Going to be 5 Briggs bikes racing in just 5 days.
All of them have build threads on this forum.

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
I totally disagree with the longevity of the mower engines unless you disregard the engine oil and air filter. But DO forget the vertical types.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Ist and 2nd in the 4 stroke class with msrfan's grandson first.

#8 magrider on a 66 cc 2 stroke China girl beat both msrfan and his
grandson in the Ultimate race so they also got 2nd and 3rd in the big race.

Going to be 5 Briggs bikes racing in just 5 days.
All of them have build threads on this forum.
Very very cool. MSRFAN know his Briggs and very helpful on this forum.

Being Australian i dont know much of the races you have over there (i know im jealous i cant attend LOL), but what is "the ultimate race" and how did a 66cc China girl win? Must be a fast 66cc or just light and nimble, or multiple gears/jackshaft?????

Sorry to hijack the thread..... but then again i guess it is relevant as its showing the reliability in race conditions of different engines and setups

Wm Holden

Jun 1, 2011
Ventura California
I'm sure a briggs can be made to last countless more hours then the design rating...but...it would take a sensitivity to heat and stress on the aluminum few most likely possess....
a judicious mid throttle breakin period followed by $10 quart synthetic for the life cycle and most likely 3/4 throttle being max output for its life...it may never fail....
but over heat that aluminum once and you are done.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I totally disagree with the longevity of the mower engines unless you disregard the engine oil and air filter. But DO forget the vertical types.
Yeah i was thinking the same, how many vintage mowers do you see that are still running? A lot and i think thats proof enough.

Sure we may run the engines for longer periods of time, but we are also travelling at speed thus cooling the engine and also the engine isnt covered in grass and crud, and when used in a bike the engine will most likely be well maintained which wouldnt be true with 99% of mowers that despite this still run just fine.

Samford&Son

Apr 26, 2011
Riverside, Ca
keep oil in them, and have fun.....we run our Briggs HARD! We've been running Briggs for years and i can testify that they are worth and work a LOT longer then "50 hours"....if i was going coast to coast i wouldn't hesitate to ride my race winning Briggs....your vertical shaft isnt my first choice to put in a bike but it can be done...usually the housings are a bit weird but the oiling system is easy to change...its just a "splasher system"...you would have to remount the carb and gas tank but thats not that difficult...check out our build threads on here and feel free to ask questions

to add to the longevity arguement....jr. dragsters, minibikes, edgers, blowers, lawn mowers, motor bikes, go carts (i have one) etc...all of these have one thing in common...Briggs and Stratton motors have been used on all of these for YEARS!...good luck with your build......

happy motoring

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
It is only my opinion. I'm really glad people have had many years of good service with their engines. I personally haven't had much luck with them. I always had a religious maintenance routine on them. In the end the same thing happened every time, The bottom end bearings would always go leaving me to get another engine. These were horizontal shaft as well. I smartened up and bought a Honda engine, five years later this engine is still purring like a kitten and not showing any signs of stopping. Again my word is not gospel. It is just my personal experience. It's also funny that no one cared about what i had to say before. What has changed?

Last edited:

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
jr. dragsters, minibikes, edgers, blowers, lawn mowers, motor bikes, go carts (i have one) etc...all of these have one thing in common...Briggs and Stratton motors have been used on all of these for YEARS!...good luck with your build......

happy motoring
I'm sorry but i just can't leave this one alone. Samford&Son all of the machines you listed are "occasional" use machines. There may have been some people who have gone coast to coast on a minibike, go cart or maybe even a lawn tractor, I have just not heard of any myself. If anyone can tell me of someone who did i will gladly eat crow,apologize and shut up for good. I have never once said these engines weren't any good. I myself wouldn't trust these engines for a long haul like that.

Wm Holden

Jun 1, 2011
Ventura California
Hmmm...lower end you say?
Maybe you changed the oil too much...I mean contaminated it somehow...
I've rebuilt HUNDREDS of Briggs...(no exageration) usually...the first rebuild would be to hone and second time hone and valve guides....3rd...maybe a trashed crank from low end issues...but these engines were seeing 40+ hrs PER WEEK...
Just shootin the breeze here....
It's all good.

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
It's possible i changed the oil too much, but i was only following manufactures recommendations. After first 5 hours of use change oil. I believe it was every 15 hours after that but really can't remember.
Just for a heads up these engines are turning a 45 amp alternator. It's used as a top up charge when the wind is not blowing and the sun is behind clouds.

Last edited:

Wm Holden

Jun 1, 2011
Ventura California
Just chatting...but maybe an oil cooler....guessing...but....aluminum doesn't like heat...and well...the lower end was getting stressed somehow...I'm glad the honda design has held up for you.

Samford&Son

Apr 26, 2011
Riverside, Ca
Honda makes great motors...no doubt

i have a passion for Briggs motors (easy to work on, flathead, and look old/cool). i realize that all the instruments i mentioned are "occasional" use but i stand by my first reply...the Briggs motor really shines when used in a motorbike situation....im not saying that we havent gone through our fair share of motors but usually its been because of user neglect or hard use or some kind of trial modification that back fired....

anyways what ever motor you use for your cross country trip be sure to take pics...

and do yourself a favor and get a comfy seat...i wouldnt wanna do 2500 miles on my seat

Ditchrider

Jun 25, 2011
California
Maybe skip Arizona and Texas, for sure Nebraska. If you broke down out there someplace nobody would find you for years. I hate to agree with anyone but maybe just this time, I have made horizonal engines out of vertical engines, it can be done,,,,but it isn't legal unless its 2 horse power or less anyhow. Wouldn't it be nice to have a 2 horse mb, registerd, with lites. I dont think a lownmower engine would make it across texas, then again if you bought it new and did the 20 mile per hour speed limit, that would be just a idle for a 5 horse engine.

Ditchrider

Jun 25, 2011
California
Somebody must be really old, they started using string instead of bailing wire in 1960. When they feed the cattle, the cattle eat string and all, Oops, got off topic again,hope nobody reads this. I would like to see someone make a kit to mount a small vertical motor on a mb, A lawnmower wheel drive gearbox might be the answer. And why not push back and forth pedals, I don't plan on using them anyway.