Building a chainsaw powered bike... need help

GoldenMotor.com

chainsawbike101

Dec 23, 2010
Coulmbia, SC
Hey Forum,
I am building a chainsaw powered bike. I was hoping someone could make me a list of parts, I already have a bike. I stripped off the gears and the back set of brakes for a throttle switch, and I have most of the tools needed. Unfortunately, I have no gas powered chainsaw.

- Chris

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
do you want chain drive, belt drive, or friction. Do you have a design in mind. Thats where you need to start with some kind of vision.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
even then you need to decide what you want, so that you know what engine to buy. Do you want to do forty miles and hour, then get a big saw motor. will twenty miles and hour do, then maybe a mini saw will work for you. You really need to make a wish list then start.

For instance I have gotten used to my slower ebike, so a 33cc poulan is what I bought. I don't have it yet, but it's what I plan to use. I plan to build a friction drive with a gravity clutch or lift it off the tire when starting or I stop. You have to have an idea what you want to do then work toward that. At least that is my opinion for what little it is worth.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Thanks guys, I'm going for a friction drive. This one in particular YouTube - THATSDAX.COM FRICTION DRIVE KIT ! WOW !!!!!!! . And I' m not so sure if i want to use a chain saw any more. Got any engine sugestions? thanks

- Chris
In my Junk Yard Dog build I used a 31cc zooma motor. They use them on go-peds and go-karts.

At first it was a friction drive but I did not like it so swapped it over to chain drive. These motors can go from $100-$150.

Attachments

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I like your bike and I looked at a lot of motors on ebay but couldn't get much information on them from the sellers so I went with something I am at least a little familiar with. The poulan motor. Not sure I can make it work but I hope so.

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
I like your bike and I looked at a lot of motors on ebay but couldn't get much information on them from the sellers so I went with something I am at least a little familiar with. The poulan motor. Not sure I can make it work but I hope so.
Poulan's are cheaper and if you put a better key-way in it, it'll run a whole lot longer. That's the biggest complaint with those saws. They put key-ways in them that don't last long enough and when they go it's enough to make you throw that thing as far as you can!

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Poulan's are cheaper and if you put a better key-way in it, it'll run a whole lot longer. That's the biggest complaint with those saws. They put key-ways in them that don't last long enough and when they go it's enough to make you throw that thing as far as you can!
last time I mistreated my poulan and broke the drive shaft and yes I threw it away. this time If the sprocket is on the outside Im going to weld to it to keep the clutch. If not ill weld to the nut and just run it down on the drive and hope for the best.

I plan to keep a journal as I go so it should be interesting to see how the build works. Actually it would be nice to get a system down like i did with the ebike so I can build one in a couple of hours if I need to replace it.