buying a helmet

GoldenMotor.com

bobballou

Dec 7, 2015
Colorado, Denver
hey guys,
I will be buying my first helmet. what main demands are for a quality helmet? Is a brand important? How to choose it? My budget is around $150-200. I wish to take a high quality helmet, because the safety is important.
what do you have, please share..

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
You'll definitely get plenty of different opinions on this subject. I'll offer my thoughts on it. Just keep in mind that a good deal depends on your style of riding. Myself, I ride slow enough that I'm not all that interested in the helmet for safety's sake. For me, it's more a matter of comfort. During summer I don't wear a helmet at all. I'm more interested in protection from the Sun and keeping cool. So I wear hats that address those issues.

But during the winter, I wear this:
Winter helmet.jpg
A very inexpensive bicycle helmet. I filled the breather holes with silicone and attached a bill. Attached a short visor to that. It's waterproof.

Underneath it I wear cheap stocking caps. The ones that you'll find in the boy's clothing dept at a big box store. Kinda small and thin for a grown man who's using it as just a hat. But they're just right for getting underneath a helmet.

The combo is plenty warm. I've ridden in single digits, F, without my scalp feeling the slightest bit of coldness.

Do keep in mind, though, that I average about 12 mph. Requirements will be different for anyone who rides faster.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've had good luck with these folks >
http://www.ironhorsehelmets.com/

I'm a firm believer in wearing a DOT approved motorcycle helmet. There is a lot of discussion here on the forum regarding helmets, both pro and con.

Just remember, it isn't always your speed that will dictate if an injury is possible but the actions of others around you. There is also the possibility of an unexpected event such as a mechanical failure that could compromise your safety.

There are several types of helmets and you'll need to decide what is right for you. Half helmets, open front and full face helmets are three of the most common.

Tom

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
I have a pretty large head. I got a DOT approved mushroom helmet and the thing is huge. Makes my head off balance as well. I got XL and it fits snug. I am starting to believe a full face helmet on a motor bicycle would be safer and less top heavy than I already am! Not very helpful, but I will say though that a full face helmet will save quite a bit more face than one that is not.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Cool Place 2door, I go back there and look more, thanks. Yup I agree LDS- Full face is best. Here in Maine cold 9 mo a year. shaving cream works excellent (barbersol) for de-fogger. wipe it on wait til dry wipe off. Good for a couple weeks. DOT helmet of course.

Last edited:

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Oh! Allen Standley!.......You just reminded me to give my half-face shield another anti-fog treatment. Thanks. It's not really due yet. But I don't think it's possible to overdo it.

I use Turtle Wax. Inside and out.

My breath will still fog on it. But it evaporates very quickly.

I remember trying shaving cream a time or two. But I also remember seeing no results that I could tell. But I'm not sure I understood that you should let it dry before wiping off. Maybe that was my mistake. I might have to try it again.

Edit, about ten minutes later; There! The turtle is on the job and I'm feeling a bit more secure.

Last edited:

bobballou

Dec 7, 2015
Colorado, Denver
I've had good luck with these folks >
http://www.ironhorsehelmets.com/

I'm a firm believer in wearing a DOT approved motorcycle helmet. There is a lot of discussion here on the forum regarding helmets, both pro and con.

Just remember, it isn't always your speed that will dictate if an injury is possible but the actions of others around you. There is also the possibility of an unexpected event such as a mechanical failure that could compromise your safety.

There are several types of helmets and you'll need to decide what is right for you. Half helmets, open front and full face helmets are three of the most common.

Tom
Thanks guys, I do not ride too fast, but I want to protect my head. I made the decision to buy Dot helmet. Possibly I will start buying before Christmas to get some nice discount.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I found a spot to use the 3M double stick to add the camera mount on my helmet but it was difficult. The helmet did not have much space anywhere that had large flat areas. I added the wire retainer to the mount if the tape lets go. Then when it comes off, hope not, but there will be an interesting video as it whips around till I stop. Its on a very short leash so it won't be too bad.

caoboy

Sep 3, 2015
modesto
My brother and I both ride with DOT motorcycle helmets. Basically, we're riding in the street with traffic...I'd rather not want to get hit by a car with a bicycle helmet, especially if I'm cruising at 20-30mph. I know road bikers tend to ride at 20-30mph under pedal power, but I'd still not chance it.

And it looks cool.