what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
Sounds reasonable :D
Just let me know when so I can plan for it, Im usually more free ever other week *this week being a free week*

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
An what the $#% I get too much Sun in the 60's and no tree cover off roading CA trail riding. Where is the happy median?

In ref to pg 766.

redneck82

May 25, 2014
concord, nh
i'm off to attempt that 60+ mile ride again... this time planning for the gas issue and taking precautions against moisture in the magneto case...
speaking of the gas issue... i keep seeing people raving that they get 150mpg... how the **** are you guys pulling that off? i'm LUCKY if i get close to 100...
granted, i'm not *****ing about getting 80+mpg, but how the **** do people get away with advertising that they get 150?

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I dont know what mine gets but nothing even close to 150mpg

as far as I'm concerned from the bikes I have I'd say no one else is getting 150mpg either, just wishful thinking...lol

my slowest and probably most economical bike uses a full 2L tank plus just a little extra to make a 50 mile round trip ride, I havent figured it up exactly but i know this is no where near 150mpg, probably about 90mpg give or take a little and none of my other bikes will get this good and are most likely in the 70's mpg or so I would guess, it all depends on how the engine and bike is set up and how hard you push it, I run mine hard and fast since most of my rides are 20-50 mile round trip rides unless I just cruise down the roads out here around my place to kick back now and then.

Cruising like I do at 38-43 mph most of the time has the engie wound up purdy good so fuel economy is much lower than a semi stock engine that just putts around at 20-25mph like some do, those bikes will no doubt get better mpg than mine but I still think 150mpg may be a stretch for even the low speed riders.

map

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
No, really. Out of the box they will do 35MPH and get 150 MPG. really. They do....

LOL, somebody fibbed way back when and that just gets copied and pasted to every ad.

Best I have ever done on a 2 smoke was 130 MPG and I now question my math.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
So... Here's the bike I got yesterday... It's gonna need some work but I'm still deciding on whether to strip the parts of it and put the good stuff on a different frame or relocating the rear shock and going ahead with putting an engine in this one...

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
Yeah I thought I was the only one with "crappy" gas mileage.

Speaking of moisture, I had to replace my magneto, it was all sealed up with rtv and somehow my magneto still got killed. Took me ten minutes to cut through the rtv and pry the case off.

No water in the case either, but she did sit in the rain, I've left her in the rain plenty of times before with no problems, now I'm buying a bicycle cover and sealing the case up again

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
So... Here's the bike I got yesterday... It's gonna need some work but I'm still deciding on whether to strip the parts of it and put the good stuff on a different frame or relocating the rear shock and going ahead with putting an engine in this one...

Nice looking bike Dave, lots of good stuff there.

Just make a hard tail out of it and motorize that sucker...

Use that shock and build you a suspension seat set up to take the pot hole shock off the bckside.

Nice deal you made there for sure.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Thanks, I was thinking about putting the swing arm on another bike that has a steel frame so I can weld the linkage brackets in and relocate the rear shock so it can be used but out of the way similar to Theon's last summer project, that would also allow me to convert this one to a hardtail, then the engine could bolt to the seat post and I'd need to make some brackets out of some billet bar stock since the bottom tube is an odd shape.
I'm still debating on just stripping all the parts off this one that I can use and saving the frame for something else too. I'm happy with the silver bike but putting that front disc brake on it is something that one can use, the V brakes just don't cut it when ya need to stop quickly from a high speed run. I've only been getting away with it now because the street I ride it on has no side streets and I got anough room to coast down to 20 or less before using the brakes.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Play nice now guy's. Yer both right, V brakes are just fine, except ya gotta watch the pads real close. I can lock up my wheel with my V brakes, how much more stopping power can ya get. I don't wanna lock it up at 35mph though so I wont be trying that. IF I could afford it I would have disc though, for reliability and longer life AND better stopping when wet. And ya gotta admit, disc has the COOL factor going for it.
fatdaddy.usflg
Dan, did something get deleted??????? I was reading a debate about V brakes Vs. disc. Where'd it go????????

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Oh my... would somebody give me a "BRAKE" here.....lol!

I have never ran disc brakes on a bicycle yet, but I cant say that I use Cool Stop pads which I have found to stop me very good even at high speeds.

When I say very good I mean that based on what I think is slowing me down quick enough to hopefully avoid something if I needed to.

The Cool Stop pads/shoes do last longer than others I have had for sure but i have no doubt that they wont even come close to lasting as long as disc brake pads and wont stop a bike as good as disc brakes either.

I'd like to add something to this conversation though, one thing that hasn't been taken into consideration in this conversation with this V-Brake vs Disc Brake debate is that with disc brakes the caliper is leveraged so that it applies many times more ft.lbs of pressure than what you can apply to V-Brake pads against the wheel rim with the leverage of the V-Brake arm and hand lever.

Another thing that makes the argument for the disc brakes offering better braking is comparing the Drum brakes to Disc, drum brakes have a lot more surface area and two or three times more friction material to apply to that surface area and yet the smaller Disc Rotor and much less area of the Disc pads provide much better braking wet or dry and the Disc brakes work much better when they are over heated, the larger drum brakes fade quick if severely overheated.

So in defense of Dave which he actually doesn't need from me or anyone else by the way......

Apples to Apples would be a wheel rim with same friction capabilities as a Disc rotor, V- Brake pads made from same high grade friction material and the ability of the V-brakes to apply the same Ft.lbs of energy to the bikes wheel, then yes the V-Brakes would out perform the Disc, but that ain't the case and a Disc brake is better than a scrubber type brake on a bicycle.

On my bike with V-Brakes I can lock them up so they give me all I need but the disc is the best option when available because they last longer

Peace and may your brakes last long and stop you on a dime....LOL!

Map

Last edited:

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Oh my... would somebody give me a "BRAKE" here.....lol!

I have never ran disc brakes on a bicycle yet, but I cant say that I use Cool Stop pads which I have found to stop me very good even at high speeds.

When I say very good I mean that based on what I think is slowing me down quick enough to hopefully avoid something if I needed to.

The Cool Stop pads/shoes do last longer than others I have had for sure but i have no doubt that they wont even come close to lasting as long as disc brake pads and wont stop a bike as good as disc brakes either.

I'd like to add something to this conversation though, one thing that hasn't been taken into consideration in this conversation with this V-Brake vs Disc Brake debate is that with disc brakes the caliper is leveraged so that it applies many times more ft.lbs of pressure than what you can apply to V-Brake pads against the wheel rim with the leverage of the V-Brake arm and hand lever.

Another thing that makes the argument for the disc brakes offering better braking is comparing the Drum brakes to Disc, drum brakes have a lot more surface area and two or three times more friction material to apply to that surface area and yet the smaller Disc Rotor and much less area of the Disc pads provide much better braking wet or dry and the Disc brakes work much better when they are over heated, the larger drum brakes fade quick if severely overheated.

So in defense of Dave which he actually doesn't need from me or anyone else by the way......

Apples to Apples would be a wheel rim with same friction capabilities as a Disc rotor, V- Brake pads made from same high grade friction material and the ability of the V-brakes to apply the same Ft.lbs of energy to the bikes wheel, then yes the V-Brakes would out perform the Disc, but that ain't the case and a Disc brake is better than a scrubber type brake on a bicycle.

On my bike with V-Brakes I can lock them up so they give me all I need but the disc is the best option when available because they last longer

Peace and may your brakes last long and stop you on a dime....LOL!

Map
YEP, AGREE. My V's are good enough for me, Still rather have disc.
fatdaddy.

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
oh, Posts are gone. Thanks for the heads up on the cool stop pads, Ill have to look into those. the ones Ive picked up from walmart do the job, but not for long.

"The Pig, It haunts me!"

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Semaj

There may be some better pads thanneven cool stop out there but Ive had good wear out of mine, they make many types.

When I at home tomorrow Ill post a link or two here to some that I think are good ones.