Why cheap fenders are putting you in immediate risk.

GoldenMotor.com

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
I recently bought a huffy cranbrook that came with these good looking fenders. These fenders were probably the cheapest metal at the bottom of the bin and I'll tell you why. I hand bent these to adjust them for fitment of some different wheels. They will also rattle at any speed because of all the wobble in them. Let's get into the real subject here why I will never have fenders on my bike again.

It all started out with a nice cruise. No problems on the bike at all in the past week. It was a simple cruise until I heard a terrible rattle. Sure enough I looked back and the fender had snapped at the frame mount beneath the seat. This is how the bike looked with fenders before anything had happened.

Fenders added a nice touch and shielded me from any water or dirt that might flick up onto my back. They had held up for the past week and what would make them break if they lasted a week? This little rattle wasn't any immediate danger to me in anyway. Then bang it happened. The wheel locked up and I stopped very suddenly. Luckily for me, I was going around 10mph slowing down to a stop sign a block from home. I wasn't injured and the bike wasn't crashed, but if I was going for a top speed run I would have been taking an express ride to the hospital.

The aftermath

Anyways, what the point I am trying to get across is that fenders can and will mess you up if they get enough vibration. A 30mph crash on a bicycle will cause some serious damage and I wouldn't like seeing anybody on this forum in that situation. So be very cautious on the items you add to your bike. Both fenders have been completely removed from my bike now. One not by choice.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
We won't merge this thread with others about the hazards of fenders. It's better when we can post links to multiple threads from members who have had bad experiences with factory fenders.
Thanks for sharing your experience, yesimLDS. It's just more ammunition in our struggle to get folks to see the potential dangers. Glad you weren't injured.

Tom

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Thanks Tom. I didn't realize the other thread as I was pretty frustrated with the situation. None the less factory fenders are a real hazard. It's not just the mounting points on them. When you can bend them with your thumb and pointer finger you have some really weak metal that could snap or bend at any time. I wouldn't doubt that wind at 30mph or even lower could bend them. A bicycle isn't normally suppose to see those speeds. Especially the ones that come with fenders.

Citi-sporter

Jun 16, 2014
North Bend, Or,
It's the cyclic engine vibration that eventually does them in, that and the stress riser at the "L" bracket's bend. Substitute some decent heavy gauge stainless steel "L" brackets.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
I have that same bike with those same lightweight fenders that come with those terrible lightweight "L" bracket mounts. My advice is do not trust the mounts. Rivets are bad....good nuts/bolts are good. Bent cheap piece of tin stock "L" bracket bad....heavy stainless "L" brackets good. 2 mounting spots bad.....more mounting spots good. We all know cheap hardware when we see it and most can look at something like little cheap "L" brackets and figure they are a destine to fail probably sooner rather then later.

I recommend adding extra brace wires and always bend them out when installing and push them into the bike when bolting on. That way if one does fail it will spring outward and not inward toward spokes. I use heavier wire bracing on my rear fender and I also use a few heavy zip ties ran through a few drilled holes in the fender just to act as last resort safety's should something give. May prevent fender from spinning forward. I use the same safety's on the front fender....and use extra brace wires. "When in doubt, build it stout!" As a rescue worker I have learned over the years that between flesh and pavement....pavement always wins!