Walmart FatBikes

GoldenMotor.com

\./

Dec 4, 2011
CA
i dont think id motorize anything from walmart, but those wheels and tires do look cool though

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Walmart bikes are fine as long as you pick a reputable manufacturer. Mongoose makes strong safe bikes, no ifs ands or buts about it.

There are a lot of intricate expensive downhill bikes engineered by bike dorks which have less good engineering than a common Schwinn, go to the bike shop and look around for someone you think knows anything about enginjeering, lol.

That's awesome they sell an affordable fat bike, the big tires ride nice.

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I've been waiting for these to hit stores...
MuahahahahHAHAHAH!!!HAHAHAHAH!!!HAHA!
All I need now are a few of those spark thingies from monster movies....

ProDigit

Mar 27, 2013
Miami, FL
I saw them in real life today!
The tire used on those bikes is about 4 to 6 in wide!

It's actually a bit ridiculous, but also funny.
I wouldn't know anyone who would be in need for such large tires, unless you plan on drag racing or towing your 5 brothers or sisters in a cart!

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
I've been waiting for these to hit stores...
MuahahahahHAHAHAH!!!HAHAHAHAH!!!HAHA!
All I need now are a few of those spark thingies from monster movies....
Can you tone down the sinisterness just a tad?
Your scaring me! :(

It is a cool looking bike, first time I saw one.

Is there enough room in the frame?

Front shocks would make it even cooler looking.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I think the large diameter fat tires would be good offroad, especially where people are concerned about trail erosion because they spread out the load and are easier on trails.

THe 20 x 4 1/4 OCC tires ride like pillows, I can imagine the fatbike is similar and the larger diameter means that it can clear larger offroad obstacles with less effort. I want one, kinda wish I waited a month instead of buying this BMX from there, lol.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Can you tone down the sinisterness just a tad?
Your scaring me! :(

It is a cool looking bike, first time I saw one.

Is there enough room in the frame?

Front shocks would make it even cooler looking.
I think you would have to do some chopping and welding to fit an engine on it, but it would be doable I think.

ProDigit

Mar 27, 2013
Miami, FL
Actually, I presume, but don't know for sure, that the tire could be in the way of the chain and the engine.
You'd have to have some way to mount the sprocket further away from the spokes.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I would definitely do a friction drive kit on that one. The friction drive would likely wear out those expensive tires faster, but there would just be too much fab work involved for me to mount an engine within that frame.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I thing offset mounting might fit a ht in there...maybe offset the manifold too.
A jackshaft would be even better, but I like things simple. More chains, more maintenence. But there is something to be said for better control of the rpms...
Anyway, I'm dying to get one in my shop.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Fatter the tire, the higher the rolling resistance.
Unless you're looking at riding in soft sand/dirt, why would you want tires that fat for a street ridden bike?
Yes, they look cool but just not efficient for a bicycle engine.

I looked at a high dollar version at a local bike shop. $1300.00 for a bike that I'd have to offset the engine to the left at least two inches to get chain to tire clearance. Then I've have crank/pedal issues. Worth it? Not for me.

Tom

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Actually, I presume, but don't know for sure, that the tire could be in the way of the chain and the engine.
You'd have to have some way to mount the sprocket further away from the spokes.
If you look at this picture, you will see that it doesn't look like the rear sprocket would be a big problem. The hub is wide and if you can get a sprocket adapter it should work great.

Attachments

Last edited: