oil ratio question

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I have a full 1 gallon can of gas. It's already mixed to 40:1.

Can anyone tell me how much more oil I would need to add to it to end up with 24:1?

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
1/40=.025 1/24=.044 .044-.025= .019 so just put in roughly 4/5 of the ammount you used to get 40:1 give or take a few drops LOL

Let me put this in English:
one fourtieth equals .025 one twenty-fourth equals .044 the difference is .019 which is .001 less than four fifths of what you put in to make your orriginal mix.

I am one bored dude LOL

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Can anyone tell me how to make 24:1 fuel 40:1?

If math teachers were a dime a dozen how much would one cost...show your work LOL

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I ended up adding about 2.3 oz more. I think I might have over did it a little. It's probably about 20:1. Smokes like a fiend, but runs.

CroMagnum

Sep 2, 2011
Los Angeles
I ended up adding about 2.3 oz more. I think I might have over did it a little. It's probably about 20:1. Smokes like a fiend, but runs.

If everything is accurate, the correct amount to add is 2.1 oz. 2.3 oz brings you to around 23:1, so you're still really close. If it smokes a lot, you may want to try 32:1.

Keep in mind that regardless of the mixture ratio, the amount of fuel passing through the jets is fairly constant, so increasing the oil actually decreases the gas and leans out the mixture, causing the engine to run hot. Also, the oil burns hotter than gas adding to the problem. So you can actually burn up your engine by using too much oil.

I know it sounds wrong, but I got this info from an article in Cycle magazine written by Gorden Jennings, and he knows way more than me about two-strokes so I believe him.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
If everything is accurate, the correct amount to add is 2.1 oz. 2.3 oz brings you to around 23:1, so you're still really close. If it smokes a lot, you may want to try 32:1.

Keep in mind that regardless of the mixture ratio, the amount of fuel passing through the jets is fairly constant, so increasing the oil actually decreases the gas and leans out the mixture, causing the engine to run hot. Also, the oil burns hotter than gas adding to the problem. So you can actually burn up your engine by using too much oil.

I know it sounds wrong, but I got this info from an article in Cycle magazine written by Gorden Jennings, and he knows way more than me about two-strokes so I believe him.
Yeah thanks. That's about what I thought, and I may be slightly fat of that too, but it's ok. I just looked at the plug and it wasn't too bad. but it does smoke a lot.