Motorized Sidecar^^

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I really like that idea Zuenda. I was thinking a sort of floating outrigger. So you could turn easily to either side. The weight of the engine and drive wheel holding it down.

All the old pics you see of those, the drives seem solid Mounted.

I was sure I had seen a Zündapp version some where but can't find it now. Zündapp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Would make reduction a snap. Could use a scooter drive wheel and almost any engine.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Great thread.

I meant the drive being side mounted. Dunno, has been tried and not taken off a lot. I just like the idea. Low center of gravity, engine noise & vibration behind and keeps the bicycle just a bicycle. No adaptation of wide cranks or top tube mounted fuel tank, etc.

Could get crazy and add 2 engines. LOL, that'd be nutz. (and make it 4 wheeled, bummer)

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
My first build was a ridged side drive. Even after a lot of adjusting it was a bear to drive. Guess that is why they never really caught on back then.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
Great thread.

I meant the drive being side mounted. Dunno, has been tried and not taken off a lot. I just like the idea. Low center of gravity, engine noise & vibration behind and keeps the bicycle just a bicycle. No adaptation of wide cranks or top tube mounted fuel tank, etc.

Could get crazy and add 2 engines. LOL, that'd be nutz. (and make it 4 wheeled, bummer)
if you really want one you can have one dan!

http://motorbicycling.com/f38/1915-smith-motor-wheel-4577.html

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Very cool Matt. Ya got me thinking a scooter engine replacement assembly. Would not be hard although I really dunno how to make it "float" for turns? Would give you multi-speed, elec start and lights with a back-up kick start. Another thought is it could be detachable and used with a full suspension bicycle.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Just had a thought. Instead of it floating. a swivel on a horizontal post or stud that is perpendicular and horizontal to the frame. Just sticking out the side. If it bounces to much only relying on the weight of the engine and drive wheel, cold spring it down with a small shock absorber or actual spring. I think even just a slightly under inflated drive wheel would work. But I never know until I try these things.

Function wise, solves every problem. No easy way to make a scooter engine look cool though. Be perfect for folks who need or want a step threw frame and an easy install. Comparatively easy pedaling to some forms of MBs.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL Matt. Is true.

Was looking at a lil kid's wooden trike the other day thinking how to mount an engine.

lomitalifer

Apr 11, 2011
So.Cal.
hey hows it going?im new to the forum but ive already figured out the motorized side car build and am a little over half way there. i havent figured oiut how to post a picture off my phone yet on here or ide show a few.sorry.i only know how to send them via text messaging.

lomitalifer

Apr 11, 2011
So.Cal.
im not sure where my last reply ended up so ill try it once again here.ive already nearly worked out the bugs on my version of the motorized sidecar ide like to show photos but dont know how to post them on here as of yet sorry.i only know how to send them via text messaging because theyre all on my phone.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Cool Lom. Looking forward to seeing your pics. The way I post pics from a cell, (am sure there are a bunch of ways, this is just how I do it) Email em to my self and post from the "downloads" folder.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
Has anyone here used a sidecar with their MB to carry a small passenger like a child?
i haven't but i dont know if it would be a good idea tbh, widens you a lot, kinda would end up more in traffic i think, and with a kid that could be bad. and with a 3rd wheel changing the weight placement i don't think it would handle as well.

i think trailers would be a safer bet for that kinda thing.

just my 2 cents.

PedOpt

Apr 2, 2011
St. Paul, MN
K. I've got a trailer that my child has outgrown (she's 40 lbs) and I stripped the fabric which is what the weight restrictions are about, now just trying to figure a way I can mount a seat on there. Any ideas?