Hello from Charlotte, NC

GoldenMotor.com

gb742k2

Jul 21, 2008
charlotte, nc
Hi everyone! been enjoying all the threads while i build my first motorized bike. i had envisioned and constructed a powered bicycle like this in my mind since i was 8 years old. The visioned faded when i turned 16 and got a car. then, w/gas prices on the rise and approaching 35 years old, i started thinking about a scooter or moped for my 8-mile commute to work. Began researching and happened across some of these (your) projects on youtube and the info on this msg board. after some thought, i purchased a 70cc kit on ebay from boygofast and began planning installation on a schwinn mountain bike turned commuter (s9[five].3 w/1.5 city tires, rigid fork, and surly singleator). The most challenging part of the build for me was mounting the engine (aluminum tubing on the schwinn is too large for the stock mounts). i ended up using muffler brackets from Autozone (2.25 in.) and large radiator hose to protect the tubing. since this is a borrowed frame (from my brother - thanks andy!) - i've mounted everything so as not to scratch or harm the frame in any way using the radiator hose and bicycle inner-tube to mount the motor, gas tank, cdi box, and chain tensioner. been riding around the neighborhood w/a smile on my face for a couple days - thanks for all the info - there's a great community here! (^)

Attachments

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
hey gb742k2, welcome aboard
glad you got your bike up-n-runnin'
the grin factor on these things is through the roof
good luck and happy motoring

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Welcome to the forum. That is a nice looking motorized bike. I like the way people stare when we ride these things down the street. You can see it in their eyes "I wan't one of those to ride back and forth to work". Glad you joined us........................

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Hey fellow tarheel. I live up in high point. Be careful that charlotte traffic is a bear. Cars are my only fear, though I should fear other things just as much I suppose. Yes the bikes make a big impression for sure. Plus they are just fun to ride. It's like going back to a time when we wasn't in such a hurry to get some place you really don't want to be anyway.

Welcome to the addiction...

BillyB

Jul 21, 2008
Los Angeles
Whassup Charlotte?

I lived in Belmont and commuted to downtown Charlotte for many years.

They had a commuter bus that I used occasionally, but I still had to use a car to get to the bus.

It was too far to walk, and I'd get sweaty riding a bike. Wish I had thought of using a motorized bicycle back then.