Annoying People.......

GoldenMotor.com

Eric2.0

Sep 22, 2010
NY
I have the township of Tonasket in a flurry over this silly thing! Mine is the Huffy Cranbrook in blue/cream, I painted the tank and chainguard to match and did a 'full dress'- I've been told off for "driving a priceless antique as an everyday vehicle' when I bought the bike new from Wally World! I suspect there will be more of these things come Spring...
The bold part....

Oh man....priceless. I would sell it to them for 800(this piece of rare atique) lol.

I swear if someone ask how old the bike is, I will tell them some made up name like 1922 Motomizer-scooter LMAO..

They wil be like "Ah yes...I heard of those" LMAO.

Sgt. Howard

Sep 28, 2010
Okanogan, WA
The bold part....

Oh man....priceless. I would sell it to them for 800(this piece of rare atique) lol.

I swear if someone ask how old the bike is, I will tell them some made up name like 1922 Motomizer-scooter LMAO..

They wil be like "Ah yes...I heard of those" LMAO.
.... Actually, I have referred to it as an "1943 Bünderbuffin" or a "1940 Cranbrook" (the name is right there- I removed the "Huffy" stickers) but usually I tell folks it's the "Beach Breeze" 'cause that's what I call it.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
i have been called a cheater on several occasions and basically said yeah im a cheater but i paid my dues i can cheat all i want as long as i pay my 1 dollars a tank that usually pisses them off well really about 2 bucks a tank cause for some strange reason fuel in alaska is pricey even though its exported out in large quantities and sold cheaper than here but what ever its cheaper than filling my old suburban 130 for a tank of gas

just recently i was chased down by a guy driving a taxi cab who to ask all the standard questions and strangly enough even asked me for a job i was like what dude im 20 years old and driving a motor bike as main transportation working under the table to avoid taxs and you want a job it was pretty funny

mostly there are yung kids who ask about my bike and i tell them about it and say but also tell them ther to small for any bike a motor can mount on so they have to grow up

as for the bicycle theft i dont worry to much about it i store my bike inside at night and i got a monster cable from r.e.i. and a heavy duty lock from lowes

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
People are constantly yelling to me when I ride by them.
I have a full face helmet and loud expansion chamber, do you really think I can hear what the heck they are saying?
What am I supposed to lock up the brakes and turn around just for some a-hole punks?
I don't want the attention.
I don't want to answer a bunch of stupid questions.
I am not the spokesperson for this hobby.
I don't even believe in promoting this hobby.
I think the fewer people with these bikes, the better.
Too many idiots, too much attention by the general public and ultimately the law.
Our time riding legally is gonna end when enough loosers who have lost their drivers licenses
get hold of these things as a form of transportation and start getting killed.
I can already decipher the mentality of a lot of the new young guys out there who just want to see how fast they can make a bike go. With little mechanical ability and little common sense.
Oh yeah I'm annoyed.
Maybe I'm just getting older and less tolerant to stupidity.
Either way leave me alone when I'm riding.
TIM

Last edited:

REDI

Jun 10, 2010
Los Angeles
I agree... I have no prob with asking questions and a lil chat about the bike, but some people are just plain dumb and dangerous. About a week i was ridin to work on my dyno...A lady pulls up beside going about 25-30 and starts yelling out questions about my bike while i am between the parked cars and her...so i got to the stop sign and started to tell her "that its people like you that get people killed" and a few more things i wont say here...

But the funny one happened this weekend... I had some friends in town so we went down to Venice beach. They took my truck and i rode down ( wanted to get some pics) so i am taking some pics/vid and there is a guy and his girl standing on the side watching and talking about the bike. After about 20 mins they walk over and start asking questions, then the guy says.... "You mind if i take it for a spin" (he was for real. I have never seen this person before in my life!!) so I look up and say "if i can sleep with your girlfriend" My friend had to walk away he was laughing so hard. Needless to say that stopped the the convo and he didnt ride my bike.

Might be a dick, but it was sure funny to see his reation. lol

laff

wasabi805

Jun 2, 2010
Santa Barbara, CA
I've got a solution! Carry a spay bottle full of water. Set the nozzle to "jet" instead of "mist." When you get annoyed, just give a quick handle pull.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
also i have noticed that i receieve some negative support during the day but at night i hear people yelling right on or some other supportibve things i no longer drive on the bike path cause i get many negative responses when someone yells and says no motor vehichles i just turn it off and pedal at a higher speed and yall it this any safer but really i know i shouldnt ride on bike trail so i dontr anymore also im not supposed to ride on side waloks but with out a lighting system is my best way to go

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I've had more than one guy tell me "I had one just like that when I was kid! What is it?
"Oh, it went 'VROOOOM' when it moved, and 'BOP' when it stopped, and 'WHIRRRR' when it stood stilllll! I never knew just what it was, and I guess I never willlll!"

BADBOOH

Apr 3, 2010
San Diego CA,
i don't mind talking to people most of the time, unless my burgers are getting cold or my beers getting warm when i come out of a store, but what i always run into are the tweakers and the handicapped. i can tolerate the mentally challenged, but the spun-out junkies are a real pain...
I agree 100%, however, if I found some punk sitting on my bike, I dont no what I would do? Talking about the first thread.

Basses5

Nov 10, 2010
Kansas
I agree that even touching someone else's ride without owner/operator permission is definitely not cool. Luckily for me I am 6-8 so my bikes are just not accessible for most without a step ladder lol. On another note I have profitted nicely from quite a few of the inquisitive ones...

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc
I feel like having a sign on my bike that says "I don't go into your car and mess with your controls, Don't mess with mine" after having my air horn messed with, and the choke messed with once or twice.. And I suspect the time my throttle mysteriously snaped while it was parked outside a store was some ****** playing with it very hard.

Mr.Gadget

Nov 9, 2010
South Carolina
Lots of people around my area ask the simple questions. All age ranges, but nothing too anoying. I go to the store, I get my beverage of choice, and a pack of smokes, play 20 questions with some smiles. Then I'm on my way. I only have a cheapo lock, because I'm in wally world for just a few min, and there are too many people around for someone to put any real thought into stealing the MB.
No one has yelled at me yet, usually I get a "Wow,,cool,,, I want one" look or smile. Or just see the people stuck in trafic smile when I go putting by.
For the most part, I think I might be the one annoying others,,,,,,,,untill I think about all the motor scooters that are much louder. Then I don't feel so bad.

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
I know the feeling well...
I was by no means the first motorized bike rider in the New York City area, but back in the 70s they were pretty rare.
The same 100 questions again and again.
Id be quietly eating my lunch and a crowd would gather, my(no so) trusty steed chained to a post or fence across from me, id ignore them until they started to touch it.
I'd just clear my throat and give a simple... "do you mind? please don't touch"
Then the 101 questions.... I'd try to be genial, polite and explain the build, but it got tired after a while I'd just wrap up my lunch and hop on and ride away.
This was the 70s mind you and motor kits did not exist.
My chainsaw engine in a 10 speed frame was not the best set up and soon it found itself relegated to a corner of my garage.
Time passed, I grew up moved on to bigger and better things for the next 25 or so years.
Ahh... semi retirement, life had been kind to me.
One day cleaning out the garage I came across my old steed, I marveled at how dangerous it looked, I had to be a kid to ride that thing.
No suspension, center pull rim brakes and thin 27" single wall rims!
But as I looked around my garage at my accumulated collection of cars and motorcycles I was suddenly struck at the motor bikes simplicity... how light, how easy it was to ride, the hours and hours of enjoyment id gotten out of it.
It was time again.
I got my hands on a good used 21 inch aluminum framed disc brake 24 speed mountain bike and hit the internet looking for parts.
I built my first 50cc china girl... it was a joy to ride... dependable fast and smooth.
But this time as the questions started up again i was compelled to answer them all, wanting to put our hobby/art/sport in the best possible light.
Lets face it, people can be rude and demanding, I just learned how to use those propensities against them.
I've built and sold many a moto bike since. the business card is an excellent way to get away fast if you must.
But consider answering some of those questions, this will allow our hobby to grow, once enough people are riding moto bikes maybe our voices with get a bit LOUDER with local governments.
SMILE as you go by.
BBB

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
that bike sounds awesome how did you transfer power to the wheel

nowdays the only questions are did you build it yourself and cool i guess people are simpler minded in the winter they dont even ask how fast how much it cost or even what kind of mileage it gets it a simple you build it or buy it like that

once they find out i built it they just sorta tune out cause there too lazy to work with there hands or something

well there are a few who seem a little interested in it but mostly the kind of person hoo would just think about it and move on