Hello From Ontario

GoldenMotor.com

Watts

Mar 22, 2010
Ontario
Hows it going everybody. Just new to this, first bike with 80cc engine just purchased a week ago and loving it. I am a computer guy so have very limited knowledge about engines and motors etc, so all of this is new to me.

I purchased a chopper style bike fixed with a 80 cc engine, and it seems to drive well...sounds good while idiling. Just recently due to the vibrations after 20km of riding the braces on the motor came loose and the chain came off and got stuck in between the rear sprocket and bike frame. I managed to get the chain lose and re-attach it, as well as tighten the motor braces back to the bike frame (Should I look to use lock washers to keep these bolts from loosening?).

After I tightened the motor back I noticed that the bike would not push passed 20 km/hr, I realized chain was too tight and set the motor back in place with adequate slack for the chain. After riding it 2 km distance it was going great and the speed was hitting 40 km/hr again, when all of a sudden the chain snapped.

It seems the chain is missing a link, I am new to this and want to be sure that it is fine to get the chain link fixed or would buying a new chain be better? When I mean getting it fixed I mean re-linked professionally. Further more after I have the chain fixed how am I to get it around the gear of the motor when its not enough room to wrap it around after removing the cap.

Also notice that when I get to a certain speed it seems the vibrations make the CHOKE go on hence slowing the bike, I have temporarily used an elastic band attached to my seats quick release and the choke valve to keep it off once the motor is heated.

Thanks for any input.
pino.

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
Hello from Edsville; Get yourself a chain press that fits your size chain. Take your chain to a store that sells them and make sure it fits -then have them show you how to use it.

Also, chain for that shopuld be cheap-get lots. put your chain onto the small sprocket first- then put as much as you can onto the large one-then turn the wheel and sprocket together and the chain should roll into place.

what do the letters MAC stand for, and I don't mean apple computers. I want to know what each letter stands for,as in MAC address. example: LAN stands for local area network.... now what does MAC stand for???

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
howdy Watts , nice to see another ontario dude . I take it you have a schwinn chopper .
you will find a bunch of them on here , lots of good info too . they recently redid the forum , now thers a section for chopper bikes , you should have no problem finding out what you need . look there .

shup Blake your makin me hungry with all this MAC talk , think imma head down to McDonalds for a combo .

MAC = media acsess control

Watts

Mar 22, 2010
Ontario
Hey thanks for the quick responses guys, great to see there is a good forum for me to access this info. And Blankenstein in rgerads to the MAC it was simply an abbreviation for Macintosh which was a type of Apple, so it was not an acronym for anything. Although I do like Diceman's version because essentially Steve Jobs for the first portion of the 80's and 90's used media to control his growth in the MAC/Apple retail market.

Watts

Mar 22, 2010
Ontario
Just went to a local store and picked up a master link replacement for the missing link that broke off the chain. I am a bit worried as the link is simply a slide thorugh with a brace pin/clip to hold it tight.

The fellow who sold it to me said it was a 41 master chain link that matched the 41 number etched on the chain I was using with the bike, he also said it would be fine as long as I situated the pin in accordance with the direction the chain is going. So place opening end of pin facing opposite direction that chain is moving.

I also made sure to ask him if it was safe and wouldnt break off, he said that was the link made for the chain and that its a snowblower chain. Does this info sound right? should i be looking to get a link that requires he pins to be clicked in with a tightening tool? Thanks for any iput.

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
that link should do ok . other than that you would use an actual link from a chain and press it back together , with a chain tool ,

and MAC , as Blakenstein was asking about , refers to ( media access control ) as in ( MAC address )
used for wireless routers and network connections security

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
"Further more after I have the chain fixed how am I to get it around the gear of the motor when its not enough room to wrap it around after removing the cap."
If I'm reading your question right, you need to remove the cover plate and use a socket to advance the engine chain gear (if you loosen the spark plug first it is easier to move). Turn the gear as you feed in the chain and then you can pull it by hand. Engine kits come with a socket for doing this. Hope this helps. Welcome to the forum.
SB

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
that link should do ok . other than that you would use an actual link from a chain and press it back together , with a chain tool ,

and MAC , as Blakenstein was asking about , refers to ( media access control ) as in ( MAC address )
used for wireless routers and network connections security
Right on Diceman!!! I just found out that u are absolutely right!! After Watts reply, I went diggin through all these papers I saved, And I found that I had written it down...there it was MAC =media access control but I cannot find the paper where I got it from all I can find is ...MAC is an address that is written on modems and is also called hardware address

It does have to do with networking muti computers together in a network. I did not have to deal with it,because I'm only using my wireless router and adapter as a private link to the internet, without networking the two computers together, so it was easy.

I hope I never have to manually configure a router and /or network computers together. That is way too much for my brain with all this dynamic host control protocol, extensible authentification protocol,
local area network( which of coarse I just skipped right by it-left that alone also),and the good old MAC -media access control.....I geuss I knew what to touch, and what not to touch.

any way i orderd spare chains from Florida, and while I was waiting I was constantly worried that the master links would not be with the shippment. When the chains arrived, my heart sank through the floor when I realized my nightmare had come true!!! the master links were not there.

I was gonna phone Florida but decided not to because I figured that he was gonna think

"what's wrong with these Canadians?? can not they put a chain toghether without having to use a master link??" So my bike chain tool was too big for #25 chain small chain, but the best quality chain in the world (same as timming chains for heliocopters)

What I did was rig up a vice and a small tapperd punch -used that as a press and it worked great!!!

I practiced first on my old chain- now I use my old chain as a rasp to remove my sprocket when my free wheel cassette comes off alone- without the sprocket and adapter plate.

When they come off together, it's even worse, but I have a way of geeting around that also..

So, I've still got 2 brand new chains for spare----One whom owns and rides a MB, should always have spare chain, and lots of it!!

Edmonton is an oil town and just about everything and anything can be gotten here. I found a company called B.C. Bearing and they had the same heavy duty chain with the same pitch- he even mesured it with a vernier however it was not the same super material ( he had 25H but not 25Hda) so I want the best and I'll get from Florida.

The midway carnival company needed special machining done on one of thier midway rides. A machine shop here in Edmonton was the only one they could find that could do the work. Not only does Edmonton have lots of Canadin tire which is great!!, but Edmonton also has at LEAST 2 Home Depots probrobly more than 2 but I only know and have shopped at 2 in 2 different locations in this City. ya know, it's kind of weird, but great!!

Watts

Mar 22, 2010
Ontario
Blankenstein and Diceman, my apologies as I though you were inquiring to find what "MAC" was short for in relation to Apple / Mac Company (after reading again you stated not Apple computers). And yes a mac address is simply an unique identifier address that is assigned to network cards / adapters as Diceman was saying, routers have IP addresses not MAC addresses. No ISP really requires your mac address of your network card anymore as majority of DSL connections are Dynamic and no longer static, meaning they constantly change their IP address.

Thanks for all the responses, purchased a master link x4 for $5, feed the chain around the gear using my finger strength to move the gear forward while the spark plug was still on, lots of force needed but I got it around and linked it backed together, went 21km on the bike fine.

My worries about the clip link were unneccessary as a clip is just as good as using a standard link that would require a cheaply made $50 tool to put pins in and out of the chain. Very happy, added speedometer and hit 46.7km/hr on a slight uphill straight away without pushing the bike fully.
Im aiming for 55km/hr, with some adjustments and tweaks thinking this is more than possible.

Last edited:

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
Hello Watts; No need to apoligize, I knew that my question was misinterpreted . It is great to get help from you knowlegeable people on these maters and I have learned alot lately from Diceman, Matts, and you.

I'm glad to here that you solved your chain problem- I knew that you would solve the problem.

P.S. If you are turning your motor over without removing the plug and you,ve got your fingers in there, you should make sure that there is no current going to that plug because there is a chance that the motor could fire up while you got your fingers in there.

Any way , thanks again.:):)

Watts

Mar 22, 2010
Ontario
After reconnecting chain and placing clutch pin back in bike was riding fine for 20km. Then I noticed the screw tightening the clutch string was loose and not allowing clutch to fully pull in (hence not being able to peddle while motor was turned off)....so I tightened the clutch string by adjusting the screw clamp further up (tighter) and the clutch is working fine, just that the clutch pin keeps coming loose while riding it (it comes up a quarter inch just enough that it wont clutch). Did I tighten the clutch line to much? I see a bolt on the top of the clutch but does not seem to help make it more snug. Any ideas ? Thanks