new user

GoldenMotor.com

hubabuba

Feb 12, 2010
Battle Creek Mi.
Hello, I am brand new to all of this. I am so new that it is somewhat of a dream at this stage. I am still researching the best fit for myself and motorized biking. So please, any guidance and recomendations are encouraged.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
hubabuba welcome. i am from battle creek also but live in the caribbean now. still own a house just of i94 springfield exit. moved here about a year and a half ago. still go home a couple times a year to see the kids. glad to have you with us

stevolandis

Feb 20, 2010
NE Pennsylvania
Welcome to the forum! Here's a little info- 2-stroke engines are usually faster than 4-strokes, and there's a lot of performance parts available for 2-strokes. 4-strokes usually have more torque and low-end power, also more expensive. 4-strokes don't sound as much like a dirt bike. bikeberry.com has a large selection of engines and bike parts. sickbikeparts.com has all the performance parts (i think all for 2-stroke engines) like shift kits and expansion exhaust pipes, for more power. Cruiser-style bikes usually work the best, or bikes with a LOT of space in the middle, and normal size frame tubes(not oversize tubes). Usually older bikes. If the bikes shifts, you won't have to worry about modifying the brake arm that one-speeds usually have. Most people like the Cruiser bikes.

stevolandis

Feb 20, 2010
NE Pennsylvania
I've heard that the Grubee engines are the Rolls-Royce of bike engines. On bikeberry, they're the expensive($170), chromed, and extra parts kits. For a really good engine, check out piratecycles- they're in the ad list on the side. They offer a reed intake, ported, Custom Billet Machined High Compression Head, Grubee Skyhawk engine with a rejetted, tuned DELLORTO Carb, a custom expansion pipe, high quality Billet Intake, qualtity gaskets, and it's leak tested. A really good kit. They are willing to test ideas you give them. They haven't listed a price yet, but should be this spring. So far, this seems like the best kit I've seen.

hubabuba

Feb 12, 2010
Battle Creek Mi.
Welcome to the forum! Here's a little info- 2-stroke engines are usually faster than 4-strokes, and there's a lot of performance parts available for 2-strokes. 4-strokes usually have more torque and low-end power, also more expensive. 4-strokes don't sound as much like a dirt bike. bikeberry.com has a large selection of engines and bike parts. sickbikeparts.com has all the performance parts (i think all for 2-stroke engines) like shift kits and expansion exhaust pipes, for more power. Cruiser-style bikes usually work the best, or bikes with a LOT of space in the middle, and normal size frame tubes(not oversize tubes). Usually older bikes. If the bikes shifts, you won't have to worry about modifying the brake arm that one-speeds usually have. Most people like the Cruiser bikes.
Thanks so much for your information. I am currently looking around at Pirate Cycles and like what I am seeing thus far. I am thinking, that one might as well buy a performance package right out of the gate as he/she will end up modifying in the future. I am definately going to keep an eye on them daily so as to be one of the first. This is so exciting and am looking forward to a hobby that I can experiment with, share results and tips in the future.

stevolandis

Feb 20, 2010
NE Pennsylvania
I finally figured out how to upload pictures! They were all too big. Anyway, I'll upload a pic of my bike. If you don't have a bike yet- check out Cruisers- they look really natural and cool with an engine. My engine is now on a plain-looking mountain bike- i wanted gears. (after 3 other bikes)
I hope the price of the performance engines aren't really high when they unveil the kits.
Make sure to take many pics as you do this kit- it's fun sharing your progress. Search for bike rallys- everyone gets together and drives their bikes and has motorized bike talk. I've never gone to one, but it sounds fun. You can email Pirate Cycles with questions- they've answered a few of mine quick.

Attachments

Last edited: