gaskets

GoldenMotor.com

Magnarider66

Aug 1, 2009
Florida
hey everyone.some may know me as Magnarider66.Well since my last post the magna has soon bit the dust.now i purchased a nice boygofast kit.slapped it on an older mountain bike brand mountain bike and i couldnt be happier.the only dilema i face is the exhaust gaskets burn out really quickly.ive made three gaskets lateley and every 2 minutes they will blow any ideas.i dont have the money to keep replaceing stuff like this.I greatly appreciate the help and generosity.Remember LIVE HARD RIDE HARD
Magnarider66dance1zpt.wee..duh.

exavid

Dec 12, 2009
Medford, OR
About the only thing that will cause the gaskets to blow out like that would be either a bent flange on the exhaust pipe where it bolts to the engine or the flange is not laying fat on the engine. I had to bend my exhaust pipe a bit to get a good angle on it so it would fit flat on the engine and clear the bike frame. Try bolting the pipe to the engine using some extra washers. Run the nuts up finger tight and then take a look at how the flange contacts the engine. If it doesn't lay flat with no gaps all around it's edges the gasket shouldn't blow. If there are any gaps you'll need to straighten the flange and/or bend the pipe a bit. Also when bolting the pipe to the engine make sure you alternately snug up the two nuts, don't get one much tighter than the other as you tighten them. Pulling them up evenly is important to get a decent seal.

Magnarider66

Aug 1, 2009
Florida
About the only thing that will cause the gaskets to blow out like that would be either a bent flange on the exhaust pipe where it bolts to the engine or the flange is not laying fat on the engine. I had to bend my exhaust pipe a bit to get a good angle on it so it would fit flat on the engine and clear the bike frame. Try bolting the pipe to the engine using some extra washers. Run the nuts up finger tight and then take a look at how the flange contacts the engine. If it doesn't lay flat with no gaps all around it's edges the gasket shouldn't blow. If there are any gaps you'll need to straighten the flange and/or bend the pipe a bit. Also when bolting the pipe to the engine make sure you alternately snug up the two nuts, don't get one much tighter than the other as you tighten them. Pulling them up evenly is important to get a decent seal.
hey thanks for the quick reply.i noticed on my pipe that the pipe doesnt mach up with the hole of the flange i would take a pic of it but im not sure how to post them on here.i was wondering if i would hurt the motor if i just left i how it is.its not loud as if it has no exhaust just a little more noise.

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
and alot more oil! you need to really look at that! and correct the issue. heat pipe with a torch and slightly tap or bend where necessary and use a quality gasket! I purchase any MR Gasket exhaust gaskets, available in white or black. the black is reinforced with a mesh wire,usually a little more in price. and the white is plain exhaust H.D paper gasket.both available from the box auto stores for about $7.00-$10.00 and you can make your own gaskets, you can make about 6-8 gaskets.

exavid

Dec 12, 2009
Medford, OR
I wouldn't run the engine without the exhaust pipe, that gas coming out of the hole is around 1000F and nasty if it gets you or a drip from a leak in the fuel valve should pass through it. Find a good hard metal surface and use a hammer to make sure both ears on the flange are flat. If they are in line and there's a bit of weld sticking out where the flange joins the pipe a bit of work with a 10" mill bastard file will flatten it. BTW no joke, they are called a bastard file, a 10 inch one is about an inch and half wide with single cut teeth. Single cut means the teeth run diagonally across the file double cut are criss cross cut and don't leave as smooth a finish. You won't embarrass a hardware man to ask for one in a good hardware store.

Magnarider66

Aug 1, 2009
Florida
I wouldn't run the engine without the exhaust pipe, that gas coming out of the hole is around 1000F and nasty if it gets you or a drip from a leak in the fuel valve should pass through it. Find a good hard metal surface and use a hammer to make sure both ears on the flange are flat. If they are in line and there's a bit of weld sticking out where the flange joins the pipe a bit of work with a 10" mill bastard file will flatten it. BTW no joke, they are called a bastard file, a 10 inch one is about an inch and half wide with single cut teeth. Single cut means the teeth run diagonally across the file double cut are criss cross cut and don't leave as smooth a finish. You won't embarrass a hardware man to ask for one in a good hardware store.
i didnt mean ride it without the exhaust.just with the gasket the way it is.thanks for your help i greatly appreciate it.

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
I purchased a copper gasket from the manic mechanic it was much thicker then the oem gasket and made a perfect seal to the motor it is not likely to blow out at all makes for easy clean up and reinstall of the muffler

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I use copper silicone gasket on the stock gaskets to seal them in place.
I like Jims copper gaskets, but if the exaust flange isn't perfectly flat (which they never are), they will leak! (I use the copper silicone on those too!!) ;)