Road bike was good, but returning to another motorized bicycle.

GoldenMotor.com
Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
Hey guys, so, as you may or may not know, I had my engine originally installed an an old ccm mountain bike frame. I had many problems, but the final blow, was a broken frame. It snapped completely, right where I drilled for the frame adapter. So, I walked around the city, and eventually found an old 10 speed, made in france, 1970. Worked great, but I can't seem to get my sprocket centered on this rim, and I can't pedal all the way around. The 10 speed failed because of the sprocket. It stripped my chain tensioner, and loosened my chain. (While riding) The chain hit the engine casing, and one side of it broke. (#41 chain) As I only have one more chain, (meant for my centered 48t mountain bike tire) I didn't want to shorten it for the 44t on the 10 speed, since my problem is the sprocket, I'd just ruin that chain as well. I need to use my motorized bicycle tire for now, because I can't seem to center the other one. So, I went out again, and after 3 hours in the pouring rain, I finally found a bike. It was abandoned at the local mall, laying unlocked with no chain. Luck was on my side, because after the long walk home in the rain, I was awarded the pleasure of an amazing riding bike, after installing a chain I had as extra. :) So, here it is, as I found it. I'll be removing all of the stickers, so it's just all red. I have a full frame suspension bike also, I wonder if I can use the front shocks on this bike. Not sure if the diameter would be the same. Well, here's some pics, I'll keep you posted! :)

Attachments

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Re: Road bike was good, but returning to another mb.

ADD Im glad you found a bike, did you think this bike might belong to some one? From the pics its a pretty unique looking bike and the owner might just recognize you riding it. I dont know where oshawa is but it must not be very big, Id put an ad on craigslist just to cover your butt and see if the owner can be found and keep proof you tried to find the owner to show a judge.

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia

It definitely was abandoned. It was left lying down, where the bus shelters are. No lock, no chain, so the owner likely ditched it, and took the bus. Probably some kid who broke their chain. Who knows really. This bike can actually be bought for like $99, just a Canadian Tire Supercycle. Some stickers are going to come off, and the seat, handlebars, brakes, and tires will also be changed. I'm hoping to fit my 26" full frame suspension front forks on this bike, so it's not so rough. The bike will look very different, so even if someone stole and ditched it, it won't be recognized. I hope it's not stolen, the situation seems to be an abandonment. I saw two other bikes that night, abandoned, but one was full frame suspension, and the other was a girls 24" with a folded front tire. lol. I was out for three hours, combing the city. I honestly don't what the story is with this bike.

Reel Adventure

Jul 1, 2009
wilmington nc

Dang, you roaming the streets and gaffeling bikes! LOL OMG

Gaffeling = theiving, stealing.

Fix it, and ride it like ya stole it I guess. For future reference you might not want to aquire bikes like this!

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia

well, like I said, I didn't steal it, it wasn't in someone's backyard or something. It was broken and abandoned at the mall bus shelters. There are always bikes lying around, at the sides of the road, in the garbage, behind dumpsters, at the creek, at the dirt jumps, etc. It's really not that hard to find a bike around here, they're pretty common to see abandoned. I'm no thief.

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia

LMAO I was about 12 when i had a job at the local shopping complex newsagency on a saturday sorting the newspapers before the shop opened, i started at 5am finished at 730am i rode my Racer every now and then except 1 weekend when i forgot i rode to work then i walked home remembering 3 hours later that i rode there. crap! run steve!
It was gone and i was devastated someone flogged my bike
ADDICTED You barstard!!! Kidding

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario

hey man i have found some decent bikes this way. i even watched one rust all winter in a snowbank locked to a rack from late november to february. i said **** it and cut the lock.

there are certain bikes that are abondoned and obviousley stolen tho.... usually anything unrusted with suspension was lifted earlier and the same goes for kids bikes far from a suburb. in the city rigid mtb's and old speedbikes are a go out and get one affair.

glad you found a new bike! dont drill the frame this time tho

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia

Had to drill the frame, I'll be building again anyways eventually. lol. I like changing it up. Well, I've grown to like it. lol. I've nailed it this time. Kit installed without a problem, and it started up right away, and doesn't even need minor adjustments. Here it is, hope you like it. :) I'll post more pics and videos when the sun is up and I can get better pictures.

Attachments

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado

i got your back man...there are abandoned bikes out there...i got a road bike like this...it sat outside my local watering hole for 3 weeks unlocked with tacoed rims...one night i stomped the rims kinda straight and rode it home...i got a little bike junk yard in my yard and put some new rims on it...had to use another bikes chain though do to me not having a 10 speed hub...relax your being resorcefull your not a thief just a recycler

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia

:-|| Had to drill the frame for the front frame adapter. The frame tube is too thick to use the original mounts. My magneto had water in it!!! From the night it broke down, while I was riding in the rain. Apparently it entered through the wiring grommet, and slowly filled. It worked for a bit when I rebuilt the kit on the new bike, but, on my way to my friend's, it died. I opened my mag casing, water poured out, and I found the problem. So now, I'm waiting for the mag to dry, so I can see if it'll start again. Think it blew, or will it still work when dry?

Attachments

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia

Well, I'm proud to say, aside from my magneto casing being filled a bit with water, causing a break down on the new bike, I think I've nailed this installation. I got it perfect. Somehow, my power issues have healed, because the engine is running now like it was when it was brand new, two years ago!! I'm really impressed with this bike, I am well practiced, and it's starting to show. lol. Anyways, I've taken a video showing the bike, I'll post a video of the ride when I'm more confident she won't break down, and I can let go of the handlebar to hold my blackberry to record. :) It's running sooo good though. :) Well, here it is, I hope you like it!
VID2000166.flv video by ADDICTED-BICYCLE-CUSTOMS - Photobucket