Built Huffy Tough with Schwinn Stuff

GoldenMotor.com

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
The auto body classes I took back in high school finally paid off. lol

Got most of them out with a light tap with a ball peen hammer then smoothed them out with body filler.

If it weren't for how tough these fenders are if I was going to do it over I think I'd just buy new. I have probably 12 hours of work into them.

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
The auto body classes I took back in high school finally paid off. lol

Got most of them out with a light tap with a ball peen hammer then smoothed them out with body filler.

If it weren't for how tough these fenders are if I was going to do it over I think I'd just buy new. I have probably 12 hours of work into them.
Wow,That is alot of time and work....I bought some heavyduty chrome balloon fenders from my local bicyle shop for 35.00,they have served me well....I wish I had the drive you do to put that much time and effort into my ride....
John-John

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I also rework old Schwinn fenders. I deal with dents with two rubber mallets. One I shaped so that it fits the curve of the inside of the fender (shaped it with a disc sanding attachment on the drill)... hold it in place and smack it a good one with the other rubber mallet. They aren't aren't perfect to be sure, but look lots better than before. Being chrome, there's no hiding imperfections with body filler. I've tried using a ball-peen hammer and find that the rubber mallet works better.My bikes are old and so are the fenders... still, cleaned up they look good. They are what they are, sharp, classy old bikes. Some scratches, some faded or chipped paint, a couple dimples in the fenders are OK and help make it clear that the bike is old and not a reproduction. Besides, I'm cheap and don't like to throw things away if there's still life in them. I think your fenders look great, Kevlar.
Silverbear