RIV-Nut Install on a bike

GoldenMotor.com

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Just wondering if there are any special tricks to installing Riv-nuts on a bike
( the type and size used for water bottle cages) frame due to the curvature of a bike frame tube or if a special type of Riv-nut is needed for bike frame.
I will be using them to hold a ebike battery on so I need some strength. Aluminum Riv-nuts - vs- Steel Riv-nuts?
Hopefully someone has some experience in this.
Thanks in advance for any info.
zip

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've used them successfully on several builds, especially to mount motorcycle fuel tanks.

I'd think the only real consideration would be size. As you're probably aware the hole needed is bigger than the intended fastener size. I've kept all of my fasteners no bigger than 1/4" which requires a hole about 3/8" for the riv-nut. Naturally a steel rivet is going to be stronger and less prone to thread damage than an aluminum rivet.

Tom

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
I've used them successfully on several builds, especially to mount motorcycle fuel tanks.

I'd think the only real consideration would be size. As you're probably aware the hole needed is bigger than the intended fastener size. I've kept all of my fasteners no bigger than 1/4" which requires a hole about 3/8" for the riv-nut. Naturally a steel rivet is going to be stronger and less prone to thread damage than an aluminum rivet.

Tom
Thanks much Tom! I will try steel then as a battery is like 8 pounds that will be hanging off it. After looking on ebay,I believe the correct bolt is a M5 Allen head and I would need to drill a 7mm hole for the Riv nut? I was concerned that a steel riv-nut would be too hard to knurl for me with one of the hand operated squeeze rivnuter. guessing when they are factory installed for bottle cages they use a hydraulic machine of some sort and then welded a bit also.
I will give steel ones a try.
MotorBicycleRacing, Yes for sure that sounds stronger than a couple of Rivnuts for sure and a nice alternative. However my down tube is big and odd shaped
( big flattened oval) on this hard tail mountain bike and I'm guessing that nothing is available.

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
I used aluminum riv's on an aluminum frame. Just to hold and position the fairing on the 1st AVG build I did. How many are you planing to use? 2 may or may not be enough to control the battery weight over bumps or unexpected curbs / holes. I recently used roll bar clamps for my electric build but that was a round downtube. I used 3 just to be sure. Seems to be holding fine. I would suggest moving up slightly in size to a 6mm; use a caliper to choose your drill bit. You want NO slack! A good tight fit even if you have to hand finish it with a tiny rat tail file. I'm not sure of the reasons but it seems correct to me to use like metals. Aluminum with aluminum ; steel with steel. And yes. the steel ones will be a bear even with good large rivnut tool. Aluminum was bad enough for me. I believe Phantom Bikes is using rive nuts to secure the battery's on their ebikes. Might have a closer look at those. They are the ones who steered me in the rive nut direction for the fairing job. They been using them for years. EDIT: Just looked at their site. Looks like they are even using them for wire / cable routing.

Last edited:

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Thanks so much Velodrome for this detailed Riv-Nut advice. its a 8lb battery. That was the exact info I wanted and clears up my fuzzy confusion 100 percent. Fuzzy confusion is the worst type of confusion, lol. Use 3 for a Battery and steel with steel and aluim with aluim. I like the cable routing idea too! ill check it out.
I Have to admit, I am really enjoying my ebike versatility and stealth ride and my daughter has been riding with me on her e-trike. Big problem though... now everyone in the family wants one built to their own specs and bike choice. Sheeesh.
What are your thoughts on these expensive Lithium batteries getting jolted and bumped from pot holes etc. Can they take it?

Last edited:

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Velodrome, Cool as all heck Link/thank you a ton. Wow they have some super high quality stuff. really a great find, good prices also.