West of Chicago

GoldenMotor.com

Smooth(dog)

May 2, 2016
DA BURBS, Chi-town IL
Dog out here in da burbs. Trying to purchase cruiser Fito modena ll alloy from bikebuyers, alloy frame is 31 to 33 #s as near as I can tell. Modena ll SPORT is a steel frame, they're heavier but don't know exact weight, not too many manufacturers want you to know weight, some cruisers are 40 to over 50 lbs. I use my bike like a pick- up truk, always hauling tools, supply's, so weight was a factor for me. I' ve seen a few guy' s use this for motor bike. After reading about laws, I' m kinda leary about motoring it up, I can't risk legal B.S. To me being legal is mandatory. I have a shop if anyone needs help. Dog---------out......usflg

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
We're glad you joined up.

I don't think you need to be too concerned about legality since bikes of this type are legal in Illinois. Within certain limits. In 2010 the Illinois Vehicle Code was amended to include us.

I think I can list the relevant sections. Though it's been a while. But I think it's sections 140.14 and 140.4 that describe something a lot like a happy time/china girl bike. Limit of 50 ccs, top speed of 20 mph, rider does not have to shift gears and, probably, one or two other criteria that I don't remember.

Most of us have bikes that step over the line a little bit in one way or another. And there's room for people to argue with us if they want. For instance, does our manual clutch violate that whole 'automatic transmission' thing? I say No. But someone who wanted to argue could take that route.

But most of us have found that law enforcement simply doesn't care about us as long as we behave like mature and polite members of the traffic community.

Smooth(dog)

May 2, 2016
DA BURBS, Chi-town IL
Thanx for quick reply, bluegoatwoods! Something about me- I have been a cop magnet & harrassed by police my whole life! I drove a '66' cadillac hearse in high school, and one nite we got pulled over in 4 adjacent towns! It seems to me that the law in Illinois needs to be challenged and clearly defined. Since I'm one of those guys devoid of drivers license here in IL, I must tread lightly at this time. I am going to contact Roselle P.D. to find out about ordinance (bb guns are outlawed here, even adults?) I am a former A.B.A.T.E. of IL member, so I plan to contact them. By the way, abate is NOT just harley riders, ALL makes and riders are welcome. I can' t tell you how much good legislation has has been passed in behalf of 2,3 wheelers, even quads- we've been fighting for a motor park open to the public for over 15? years. NOT against helmets, but the RIGHT to choose as an adult! I was a member for 10 years, some awesome people in their membership! Apparently some guys have pissed off Abate due to their disregard for others on the road. Just a few screw it up for all. Abate has also fought for motorcycle safety courses, which were cancelled here in IL but we now have back! I strongly urge all who to take these courses! They are excellent for novice to experienced riders! Ok enough- had to get this off my chest! I will be posting in legislative/law forum. Thanks to all for letting me vent! This is a great forum!.flg.

Smooth(dog)

May 2, 2016
DA BURBS, Chi-town IL
Re: West of Chicago. A.B.A.T.E. allies?!?

That's exactly what I had in mind blugoatwoods! They are like all of us-we love being on 2 wheels with the wind in our face! I have not had a chance to contact their legislative coordinator yet. My life is upside down right now. The only problem I could see with this is the idiots who give us a bad name because they have no regard for others we share the road with may have pxxxed off some of these guys. Please, understand ABATE has fought long and hard to promote safety and education-EDUCATE DON'T LEGISLATE, and have built up political and public trust over many years. I was a DuKane chapter member for about 10 years, and the toy & food run really showed people that we gave a damn, this year will be the 30th year anniversary of the DuKane ABATE toy & food run! (I will post this in events in the future) In my humble opinion, It would really be awsome to see motored bicycles involved. This whole run is like a parade thru a town or two! I'm sure people would love it!

I think we need to police ourselves as far as those that give us a bad name, and get these guys inline or get 'em off the road. WOOF!

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE! .flg. BE FOREVER VIGILANT usflg.
santa.