where to purchase apehangers?

GoldenMotor.com

highstrung74

Nov 4, 2014
illinois
where is a cheap place to buy handlebare(apehangers)?i need to buy a neck also and wanna know whats the best source...thanks again.

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
Ebay, make sure your stem and bars are the same diameter, also make sure you buy a lot of new cable housing, long enough brake / clutch cables and a longer throttle cable

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You're welcome, Shan.
I ordered the bars for 'Captain America' from Chubby. They are made by Nirve and they were cheaper than I could get them through the local bike shop, and the owner is a neighbor who gives me discounts.
Your link is a good one too. Lots of neat stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Just a word of advice about high bars. They take some getting used to. Be cautious until you have a feel for the difference in steering. The geometry is a little different so keep that in mind if you've never ridden anything with ape hangers.

Also as was said above, be prepared to buy new cables. You'll probably need them.

Tom

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Yer right about getting used to them Tom, But now, I cant hardly ride a bike unless it has them. I can't ride all bent over and reaching for the bars cafe style. Its much easier on the back to sit up straight on the seat. Or maybe I'm just getting old. (Naw, THAT cant be it, I'm only 60.) I'll still be riding when I'm 80 if the universe lets me live that long.
fatdaddy.usflg

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Yer right about getting used to them Tom, But now, I cant hardly ride a bike unless it has them. I can't ride all bent over and reaching for the bars cafe style. Its much easier on the back to sit up straight on the seat. Or maybe I'm just getting old. (Naw, THAT cant be it, I'm only 60.) I'll still be riding when I'm 80 if the universe lets me live that long.
fatdaddy.usflg
I agree that the ape bars are the most comfortable, I did one low board tra ker type set up onceand although I thought it looked good I couldn't stand to ride it like that, very uncomfortable for the long rides I typically make.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Add apes and an extended fork if you want a challenge. However, after you get used to it it's very comfy ride. Just don't try to make a 'U' turn on a narrow street. You might not make it.

Tom

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Add apes and an extended fork if you want a challenge. However, after you get used to it it's very comfy ride. Just don't try to make a 'U' turn on a narrow street. You might not make it.

Tom
My Harley is the same way, anytime you increase rake on the front turn are less responsive and require more space to get done.