Mill/Lathe

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Got excited and grabbed my grinder, Curt. But really has to be exact. Will be spinning at 5,000 RPM.

LOL, a lil dab will do ya. But a little bit of wobble will kill ya. Snork, could be a company motto. Or a call for sobriety.

But thanks big time and I appreciate it.

Last edited:

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
A few of these:

And one of these:

Is all you ever need for working aluminum on the lathe. Much better cuts with sharp, honed HSS edges on low horsepower machines.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I've been collecting tools ever since I found MB's -ing. My favorite thing is thrift stores and yard sales. After ordering that set of cutters, I realized I didn't have a grinder that could do it.

Then remembered I had bought a DIY monster yrs back. It is cobbled together and has a spliced in lamp cord and no switch. It's nailed to a board and the motor spins when it is running. Paid 5 bucks for this and it weighs around 50 lbs.

Carol made fun of me but who's laughing now, eh!?

hehe, she is. The thing is a monstrosity.......

Attachments

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Dan that looks like my first bench grinder, it doesn't have to be pretty to work. It does need a stable stand to support the piece or tool on when grinding, OSHA says keep the rock 1/8" from the stand to keep the piece from being drawn down between the stand and the grinding wheel.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Hay got one just like it from ACE sure is handy little grinder.............Curt
It really is! I can't or couldn't believe how handy it comes in and so often. And so small.

Really like the speed control. I broke the dremel like attachment in about 10 minutes but awesome little tool.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Dan a bench grinder is a must in a shop, about five years ago someone got hurt with a benchgrinder at another distribution center of our company. The maintenance manager at the time had just started with us and it was his first managers job, he got a company e-mail that went to all centers about the accident and took out both grinders in our shop. I remember clamping a 4 1/2 hand grinder in a vise to get things done, lucky for us the guy didn't stay long and as soon as the new manager came in we replaced one grinder. A bench grinder is took for granted,its kinda like air, you don't think about it till you have to do without it.

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
You'll be able to shape that tool stock exactly as you need it. Should work just fine on aluminum for you.
Dan

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
So true Greg. I would not have thought about it before building and trying to work this shop. (or as I like to call it, "The den of inequity")((the $ kind))

The drill bits. I must own a hundred from yard and estate sales. Needed an odd sized one the other day and it was blunt. Not dull but actually blunt. Googled how to sharpen one. (I honestly didn't know you could sharpen them on a grinder. Took about 2 minutes'

Now what the **** am I gonna do with all these drill bits?!?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That is so cool, Dan. Really is a high to need some thing and just make it or fit it to what ever need. Was just sitting here looking at the sheave and wondering about how to shape the tool.

Really wish I started this yrs ago. Too much dang fun.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Parts & tools.Tools and parts USPS rocks!

1' cold rolled round stock. Steel

39/64 drill bit.

3/4 reamer

learn to grind lathe tools and blanks to grind

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL Dan. Carol wants to make one of the practice tools. She was worried it would not come out right. I told her it wouldn't first few tries but like a pencil, we can just resharpen it.

So we are having a tool making date night, tomorrow during the day. Just tried one my self. Butt Fugly but will work. Bit of an art to it. But kinda fun.

Curt, did it on the lil POS (piece of stuff) HF 3" grinder. Can'tbeat that thing for $19,95 -coupon.

================================

Thanks again for the suggestions, FFV & Greg!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
bottom pic is the pre-made and top is the DIY.

Really dumb question. What is their proper name? I keep calling them bits or cutting tools.

Go ahead. make fun of the slow kid, snork

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
WHOOLY SHEEP DIP, BATMAN! I just figured out how to form a tool (wish I knew what they were actually called, snork) to cut the rounded out part of a hub so as to seat the bearings.

I'm sure are premade made ones, made just for this. LOL, dunno what they would be called either.

Last edited: