just completed my first build

GoldenMotor.com

Shouldbeachevy

Mar 3, 2014
Calgary
HI my names George, im from Calgary Alberta and I just completed my first build . its an all aluminum bike I received as a gift doing flood cleanup. the motor is a china 80cc. (all the box said was black 80cc) It took me two full days in the shop tinkering to work through the issues. the first issue was mounting the engine. my bottom tube is 17/8" and the seat tube 1 1/4. the stock mounts suck... I took / cut them off, for the lower mount I used exhaust pipe and exhaust clamps and a sheet of thin rubber... for the back mount I used the stock studs with nothing against the motor and I flipped the original base over and used it as a saddle. So now the engine is mounted but there is no room for a carb, I solved this by trimming the intake just before the bend and rotating the intake upside down. this caused a problem, now the carb hits the post that the clutch linkage attaches to. so I removed the stud and filled the hole with silicone. so what to do with the linkage? I took the side off with the clutch lever on it, took it apart and took the arm off the rod and reassembled. I installed the arm as far out as I thought I could deal with. and it just so happened to line right up with the seat post. so I did the dreaded and I drilled a hole through the seat post and fed the clutch cable through the hole. so now the bike runs and goes but there are still some issues to clean up. I got a vacuum leak some where it runs like a pig, as im riding the gas tank likes to rotate around the top pipe, I could only get 8 out of 9 bolts in the rear wheel sprocket ruber thing. brakes is another issue im not sure what other people use, but im thinking disk brakes are a must, has anyone used a heavy sprocket as a rotor yet? anyway I just finished the bike today and wanted to show it off so here it is!!

Attachments

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Howdy & welcome!!

These machines will certainly make you a better mechanic!!

As far as brakes, just get you some salmon Kool Stop pads to use on your stock calipers --- they do a great job of stopping.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
welcome to the community! great looking motorized bicycle that i am sure to bring you lots of good times. glad you joined us

sublunacy

Sep 12, 2013
ontario
i wont ever miss the NORBA geometry and styling. if it has cantilever brakes best swap front fork etc. v brakes are very very good for 15 dollars even as a place to start. i have my grubee dialed in w a free chainsaw carb/ 30 dollar exhaust/ reed kit and a few other things making it a beast for 50.00 worth of upgrades. most spend 500 to get results worth bragging about. but hey diplomas can pay off too!
good luck/msg me if you require help.

Last edited:

tommygunn1488

Mar 6, 2014
SANTA CRUZ ,CA
USE A HANDGRIP WITH ENDS CUT OFF AND A SINGLE LENTHWISE CUT BETWEEN TANK AND FRAME ,LOCTITE ON ALL FASTENERS TO STOP THE TANK ROTATION ,DISC BRAKES AND FRONT SUSPENSION IS MY ADVICE! AS FAR AS SPROCKET AS DISC I BEEN THINKIN...(walking toward workshop)

Last edited:

Shouldbeachevy

Mar 3, 2014
Calgary
i wont ever miss the NORBA geometry and styling. if it has cantilever brakes best swap front fork etc. v brakes are very very good for 15 dollars even as a place to start. i have my grubee dialed in w a free chainsaw carb/ 30 dollar exhaust/ reed kit and a few other things making it a beast for 50.00 worth of upgrades. most spend 500 to get results worth bragging about. but hey diplomas can pay off too!
good luck/msg me if you require help.

NORBA is that what this bike is called? I'm not really a bike guy this is my first pedal bike in years. I just got a set of front forks today I will try to install this weekend. I ordered a new speed carb and a couple other parts last night. I want to order a reed kit but I can't find a supplier in Canada. I got an Idea that I have had for a bit... A twin carb setup with progressive linkages, I'm thinking that and an expansion chamber on a slide... My goal would be to have a real wide power band

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
NORBA is that what this bike is called? I'm not really a bike guy this is my first pedal bike in years. I just got a set of front forks today I will try to install this weekend. I ordered a new speed carb and a couple other parts last night. I want to order a reed kit but I can't find a supplier in Canada. I got an Idea that I have had for a bit... A twin carb setup with progressive linkages, I'm thinking that and an expansion chamber on a slide... My goal would be to have a real wide power band
I just recently picked up a reed block.. you are correct, they are very hard to find among Canadian vendors.. I ordered mine from Sick Bike Parts, and (including the weekend) it was here four days later.