Gas tank and exhaust questions?

GoldenMotor.com

ProDigit

Mar 27, 2013
Miami, FL
1- Gas Tank:
Despite the nice fuel mileage you can get out of a bike like this, I still think that the 1/2 gal tank is a little too small for my taste.
Are there other alternatives out there? (larger tank, or perhaps did you make a system to increase your mileage)?

The problem is, when you're going out, and run out of gas, you don't really want to buy fuel, if you already have at home.
So do these tanks have a reserve, and are there larger tanks available?

2-Exhaust:
I find the stock exhaust to be quite noisy at high revs.
The stock exhaust is much smaller than on a scooter. The pipe is smaller, and the muffler is smaller too.
Are there larger exhaust systems, that provide more of a free-flow; while at the same time are more silent too?
It is my belief, that the exhaust pipe should not come out under the pedals, but should extend to the end of the bike. A longer pipe means possibly better fuel economy, and less noise with a better muffler.

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
ProDigit.

Do a search on gas-tanks. There are a lot of great ideas people have come up with to do a make-shift gas tank. There are people here who made them from scratch, and some even engineered ones out of househhold items.

The same with exhaust.

Do a search, and check out the results. You'll be pretty happy with what you come up with.

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
I used a fuel tank from a Suzuki JR 50 (kids dirt bike), being plastic its not too heavy and it is over 3/4 gallon or so. I just picked up another one from a KTM 50 for my next build and its around a gallon. You just have to be crafty and come up with a way to mount it. Some of the people selling the engine kits and parts have a larger version of the original kit tank also.

As as far as exhaust noise the stock pipe and the SBP pipe werent that loud to me.

Last edited:

ProDigit

Mar 27, 2013
Miami, FL
I wish they had the tear drop tank in 1 and 1,5 gallon though!

Concerning exhaust, maybe the guy's exhaust gasket was broken, or maybe he drilled the exhaust hoping to go faster...

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I bought a 3 liter tank on ebay that looked and mounted just like the original tank. At the time I was doing a weekly 50 mile commute and the fuel mileage went down a lot when motoring into the strong south winds in the afternoon.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Many vendors offer larger tanks that what comes with the basic kit. You might also explore local salvage yards for a motorcycle tank that could be adapted to your top tube. See if you can locate a Yamaha MX 80 tank. I too used a Suzuki Junior tank but the one I had was steel, not plastic.

Lots of options to choose from for a fuel tank. Fruit/soup cans, thermos bottles, fire extinguishers, and the list is as varied as the imagination and innovation of the members here.
Use your imagination and let us know what you come up with.

Tom

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Instead of mounting a bigger tank, some members just carry extra premix in one of those aluminum water bottles in a normal bottle cage.

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
I wish they had the tear drop tank in 1 and 1,5 gallon though!

Concerning exhaust, maybe the guy's exhaust gasket was broken, or maybe he drilled the exhaust hoping to go faster...
there is.
the older kits came with 1g tanks. theres also (as wheelbender6 said) 1g and larger tanks on Ebay.
i picked up a 1g off ebay, with different mounts. looks exactly like the kit tank, just no worry of ripping out the bolts from the bottom.