The next one

GoldenMotor.com

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
Well the Huff Berry is finished. It still has some fit and finish work to be done but it is pretty much what it is. I am getting ready to start on the next one. This will be a 4 stroke motor. I am not sure what I will use I am thinking that the 49cc HS motor is probably good for a first 4 stroke build. I an not happy with the looks of any of the 4 stroke motors, but they are what they are. I do have some research to do on the frame or base bike. I want quality, room and good looks. I want to spend time, effort and even money on this 4 stroke build. I am an old guy with time and tools. I want it to be right.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Jim, I like the way the way HFs look striped down with the head swept aft. I really do agree with ya about the Honda/HS's. Just sort of a rectangle sitting in there like some sort of lawn equipment. I really do love my Honda though. About the best all around engine I have tried so far. But is butt ugly on a bike.

LOL BN.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I've seen amazing things done to retrofit modern engines to look older. You might be surprised how good a plain four-stroke can look if done right....I know several threads in the board tracker section have some beautiful engines done over to look period.
Don't settle for cookie-cutter motors! Rise up and MODIFY!!!!

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I was hungry for Huff Berry.
Like Jim said:"it is pretty much what it is". Just use your imagination......I have a vivid picture of it in my mind just by the name. I'm pretty sure he was serious when he said it as he's going 4-stroke!

dance1

Do post pics of the next build Jim and take your time and have fun with it!

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Hey Jim, what style of bike will it be? There's lots of good looking old four strokes out there if you don't mind flatheads. The Kohler K91, Tecumseh, Briggs, Clinton, Wisconsin, Lauson and Gravely, just to name a few. All American made with plenty of hp and torque. Some are heavy cast iron and some are aluminum with plenty of parts still available. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
I like the look of the flat head 4 stroke. I was going to post a cell phone pic of the Huff Berry but can'f figure out how to do that. The HS motor can be bought in a pretty complete kit form. I think by pulling of some shrouding it can look OK. Any suggestions on other motors is welcome. I am going for the antique look

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
A lot of the four strokes look lawn-mower-ish to me. Removing the fan shroud, replacing the air cleaner and adding a longer exhaust does wonders for the appearance. However, if you have long waits at traffic lights, you may want to retain the fan shroud for cooling.
Browse the DIY non-kit forum to get some ideas.