What got you into all this trouble?

GoldenMotor.com

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Did you write that?
You've got me wondering. Did I sign-up for a religion? Isn't moderation in all things the mantra? Where is the line between healthy-obsession and deadly-obsession? And do I use hyphens too much?

A religion? Only if you wish to worship inanimate objects. (Seek professional help if you get this far)
Moderation in all things is the correct mantra. Excess can only be determined by the beholder if the beholder has a sound mind and spirit.
The line in the sand is when you can only afford cabbage water and saltine crackers as your staple foods because you spend all your $ on motorized bicycle parts. Your gas and electricity has been shut off, You have an eviction notice, nobody wants to be around you, you forgot what it is like to ride in a car.
All moderation has been lost.
Hyphens- -are - a - good - thing - when - used - correctly.
You are doing fine.

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Wow, the 'WayBack' machine Mr. Peabody.

Re: What got you into all this trouble?

I had a 'rough life spell' back in 2009.
In short I was on my own, had no money, DL, or even a vehicle if I did.
My 25+ year home based computer business was going down the toilet with everything going i-Whatever so I had little income.

A good friend bought me a new bicycle so I could get around.

I was too beat up and old to pedal where I needed to go even back then, so then I just googled something like 'bicycle pedal help' or something and came across all kinds of kits to add a motor to a bicycle.

OK, cool, I spent a few weeks seeking out info and got a 48cc Skyhawk kit and bolted it in.

On like my 3rd or 4th trip to the grocery store I guy walked up and offered me a wad of cash for it so I sold it to him and walked home.

Built another but started changing things with my own parts and it was pretty fun!

I can't remember if it was build #2 or #3 but a die hard over two decade computer customer brought his PC by for me to fix and he seen the just finished MB.

We started talking and in the end he loaned me $2,500 to build 3 different styles/price range MB's and whatever tools I needed.

I did, he's paid off, I am still working from home making some money, and having a blast building whatever me or a customer can think of.

The sad side is I can't take another spill, not even walking in the hallway, so I don't venture out on my creations much anymore.
It's not like I don't trust the machine, I just don't trust my body and even a little mistake could be fatal to me.

I will have to take this Sun 7-speed electric recumbent trike out for a spin though.
The big Fat Tire gas and electric shifters and 86cc 4-stroke 4-speed shifter 'Dirt Bike with pedals' probably not.

Knowledge, skill and wisdom are learned usually with age and can't be taken away.
Integrity on the other hand is hard to earn and easy to loose, devious has no place in that equation in my book.

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
when i was 12 my grandfather built me a REAL wizzer motor bike i think it was like 130cc 4 stroke or something LOL it was the most awsome thing ever... it was stolen by the family black sheep and pawned for illict substances....... my dad was a motorcycle mechanic and i was about 13 now and wanted anothe one but all we had around for motors was a big huge 80cc 2 stroke stihl demo saw........ this was before the internet LOL the fastest computer out was a 286DX LOL LOL LOL anyway we wound up welding a rear rack up on a BMX bike and mounting it on the rack with a centrifugal clutch to a large bike peg and had it mounted friction drive.... this was the fastes bike i have ever riden to this day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i toped it out at 50mph on a dirt road in vermont !!!!! my cousin riding next to me on an atv clocking me.. it was confiscated by the cops in less than 6 month i had to go to court for speeding and riding a improper motorvehical or somehting, hey i was a kid and i flew by a salem mass cop going 45 in a 30 mph zone on a frankinstien bicycle lol that was that ....

fart foward 20 years and lost my job and my car because of finantial trouble ... well i remembered that old school wizzer i had and wanted somehting like it so i did a google search for motorized bicycles and it led me here, i wound up with a grubee gt5 kit and a dax f80 and still bolth motors are unsatifastory for there displacement in terms of power out put and build quality and QC, but the do have enough power to move a bike along though and after a lot of modding and rebuilding and porting i can get her up to about 40 but no where near as powerfull as that old wizzer or the frankenstien demo saw bike not even close.

if i could go back and do it again i would have used a 100cc yamaha kart motor with a cent clutch or a honda gx 160 but now i am stuck with 2 underpowered china 2 smokers..... LOL ahhh whacha gona do ???? i knew they were that cheap for a reason !

Quanah

Dec 13, 2008
Central, Illinois
For as long as I can remember, I always wanted something with a motor on it. When I was a Freshman I got a Honda CT70. By the time I was a Junior, I was racing motocross on a much modified Hodaka Super Rat. My street bikes were a Honda SL350, then I got a 1200 Harley. After all these years, I still have that old Honda CT70 that started it all, and a Ducati 250 Scrambler that was last used for flat track racing. I had never really stopped riding bicycles, so when I started seeing these china motor kits, over a decade ago now I guess, I knew that someday I had to have one. Since I was an old motorcycle racer, I naturally gravitated to the boardtrack style bikes. About 10 years or so ago, I was trail riding and found this Huffy mountain bike laying on the trail. Someone had stomped on it bad, the frame was broke at the dropouts and the rear wheel was trashed. So, naturally I brought it home, (being a bike hoarder), and really didn't do anything with it till a few months ago when I decided to get a china motor kit and make a boardtracker out of it. Well I just got it rideable last Tuesday and am having a ton of fun riding it around out on the country roads where I live. Although it looks more like a rat bike now, it will look like a boardtrack racer from back in the day, (as much as a 2 stroke can), before I am through with it. Here's what it looks like now. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=56158

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
I got started by accident and coincidence. Bought an old beat cruiser bike that happened to come with most of a motor kit on it. Wanted the frame for another project, been into bikes my whole life. The motor parts sat in a box for like a year until I happened to meet BarelyAwake at a scooter rally in my town. We talked shop on his Tadpole Tribred, he handed me a URL card for the forum, and I've been here since.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
What got me started in all this was one night I was looking on ebay for something and one of these motorized bike engine kits came up on my suggestions so I clicked on one and then checked out a few youtubes on these.
I still wasn't fully interested but a friend of mine at work mentioned that we needed to come up with some projects to do since I was supposed to teach him how to use a TIG welder. I was looking at welders on ebay again trying to find him a good one that could also weld aluminum but not break the bank to buy... and another one of these kits came up on my suggestions list. This time he saw it and I kinda jokingly said "why don't we build a few of these kits and then we can find a big empty parking lot and race them"?
He looked at me and instantly said "Yeah.." so we talked more about it over the next few days and we were making up some ground rules on how we were going to set up the bikes like a stock class and a modified class, but we had to use the China Girl engine as our base...
I bought my kit the next payday, then had to find a bike to put it on so I found a good mountainbike at a pawn shop for cheap, bought it, stripped it down and added the kit. Went to work the next monday and told him I got one running. He told me he was going to buy one when our bonuses were given to us since we were expecting a nice size bonus this year. We got the bonus checks, then we both got layoff notices so he never bought a kit for himself.
I took my money and my severance pay and opened up my own shop and he ended up getting another job in the company but he had to move to Mariland so that left me with a working ride but nobody to ride with.
But after getting mine up and running then starting to do some upgrades I got hooked and spent who knows how much on more engines, more parts,and better tooling to do my own upgrades etc...
Now with the new business in it's infancy it's hard for me to find time to ride or to even mess with the bike but I do plan on taking the bike to the shop so I can work on it and use it to get lunch etc, or the quick run to the store, plus I also have a lot of room to ride it at the shop since it's on a few acres with lots of room in the back. I'm hoping to be able to build a few more to see how they sell, but these I'll keep close to stock so they'll be nice and reliable for the new owners.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Now with the new business in it's infancy it's hard for me to find time to ride or to even mess with the bike but I do plan on taking the bike to the shop so I can work on it and use it to get lunch etc, or the quick run to the store, plus I also have a lot of room to ride it at the shop since it's on a few acres with lots of room in the back. I'm hoping to be able to build a few more to see how they sell, but these I'll keep close to stock so they'll be nice and reliable for the new owners.
Sounds like a good plan.

But please... do everyone a favor and throw some line break space between your sentences so it's easier to read as that was a nightmare paragraph.

Thanks ;-}

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Sounds like a good plan.

But please... do everyone a favor and throw some line break space between your sentences so it's easier to read as that was a nightmare paragraph.

Thanks ;-}
You're just to dang picky...... LOL!

spaces dont make it harder or easier to read....... that is funny.....!

Not hating here just playing around with ya KClaff

Peace, Map

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Dave,
I was able to read it. It's the ones with no capitalization or punctuation and using texting shortcuts that gets to me. Probably typed on a cell phone and not a keyboard.

Some might rationalize and call that a sign of the times. I call it being lazy.

Tom

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Dave,
I was able to read it. It's the ones with no capitalization or punctuation and using texting shortcuts that gets to me. Probably typed on a cell phone and not a keyboard.

Some might rationalize and call that a sign of the times. I call it being lazy.

Tom
LOL..............!!!!

Map
.dnut.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I'm with you on the text style posts Tom. I do a good bit of posting on my phone and do not use b 4 , u 2 etc, our generation took typing and we were taught how to use a key board.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Too funny...

I write the way I do because that's the way I learned.. the proper

way... I guess this younger generation wants more texting style

abreviations and and less words... I really didn't think I was That old

( I'm only 45... ) but... Guess I can't please everybody...

can you read this now?