Maintenance

GoldenMotor.com

b3anz129

Aug 15, 2011
Boston
Hey ya'll, just built my first bike (80cc) and it runs like a charm. Since my kit didn't come with any instructions at all I'm lost as far as maintenance goes. I was wondering if I could get a couple replies on basic maintenance as well as things I should and should not do to keep it running for as long as possible. Thanks!

p.s. On the left side, the motor nudges out just enough to block the pedal arm. Do you guys know of any solutions that don't involve moving the motor?

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
Don't run you rmotor a wot(wide open throttle) for more than a few seconds, or mile or so. Put a dab of grease between the two gears on the right hand side of the motor. Grease the chain when it looks dry, or every year or so. Make sure your chain tensioner is not so close to the back sprocket that is causing the chain to bind on the sprocket. About 1/16" play is good. About your pedal hitting the crank, you can get a wider crank on any of the sights to either side of the forum.

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
all i can add to that is to check you motor mounts and anything bolted on once in a while.. for the first 50 miles or so to be safe.. it is likely some of them will loosen up a tad..

what kind of kit did you get??

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
also id like to ask.. dose the crank hit you motor or the pipe?? because i had the problem with mine hitting my pipe. and i just bent it to fit right.. good luck and have fun ridding.:)

b3anz129

Aug 15, 2011
Boston
I got a boygofast off of ebay. It runs so I can't complain.
So if I were making frequent traffic stops would it be best to turn it off or let it run idle?

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
I got a boygofast off of ebay. It runs so I can't complain.
So if I were making frequent traffic stops would it be best to turn it off or let it run idle?
if your just stopping for traffic let it idle.. it would be a pain to have to start up your motor after every stop..

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
If it's only hitting your left crank, check to see if the motor hasn't shifted in it's mounts some. This is a common problem with a new build, especialy if there is rubber in the mount.

socialdistortionkid

May 14, 2011
Orange County, CA
I would Change out the spark plug every so often and tighten things up before you ride cause stuff will vibrate. Tune carburetor every so often, Clean fuel filter, Lube chain and Change out your chain to a #415 Chain its stronger and wont break

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
just did maint on mine.

the spark plug was prev gaped @ 35. i went down to 30.
engine chain was loose. saw the left side of the hub was pulled forward a lil. i put on a brand new axle nut so i could torque it down more.
re set up my spedo since i took it off when i changed my fork.

it is going to storm or i would be trying to tune the carb a little.