Which bike to build? Help!

GoldenMotor.com

Cessna Dude

Aug 14, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Hi all! Just joined the forum and here's my first question:

I just bought a 66cc 2-stroke engine kit and I have three different Schwinn cruisers to choose from for my first build - a single speed Schwinn Panther, a 7-speed Schwinn Jaguar and a 7-speed Schwinn Point Beach. All are men's bikes.

Does any of the three have advantages either in ease or build or in performance over the others? Which one of the three would you guys recommend I use and why?

Although I'm sure there are better bikes out there to use for a build, these three are already paid for and my only options.

Thanks in advance for your help!

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
First off, welcome to the forum. :)

This question keeps getting asked over and over again. Your build totally depends on you... we are not there and we will not be riding the bike ever. Figure out what is your style and go with the one that feels and looks the best to you. If its your first build then I'd say go with the single speed, less things to worry about maintaining. Which ever one has better brakes :p

Do a search and see what other members have done with those bikes.

Cessna Dude

Aug 14, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Thanks much F Rod 81.

I'd love to build with the single speed Schwinn Cruiser I've got but I'm a bit leery of going 30-35 mph only to be able to tame it with a coaster brake. I guess I would need to add a front disk brake? Any recommendations on brands and what do they cost?

I have no idea what my style is and don't care. Not concerned with what the bike looks like or how it rides. My main purpose is to learn how to build one. So, all I'm really looking for is a bike that's easy to build and as safe and reliable as possible once it's done. I'll figure out my style and preferences on my second or third bike I figure. :) So, I'm stuck between building on a 7-speed Schwinn Point Cruiser and a Schwinn single speed cruiser.

C'mon guys, anymore advice? I'm totally in the dark here - I need some guidance!

Last edited:

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
That's an easy choice in my opinion.
I'd without a doubt do the Jaguar.

Multi-speed rear hub so that down the road when you get sick of peddling out of red lights and stop signs you can easily put an SBP shift kit on and stop working that poor little engine to death running full throttle to get to 30mph.

You'll also have less trouble installing the rear sprocket rag joint on the multi-speed rear hub, the brake arm and dust cover on the coaster hub will need immediate attention to mount the sprocket.

Better brakes. You're right the coaster brakes ain't gonna cut it. You'll need to supplement those coasters with hand brakes anyway. Jaguars V-brakes will work very well right off the bat.
You'll be stuck mounting caliper brakes on the single speed, as the bike doesn't have cantilever brake studs welded on the forks or rear seat stays.

I just love the Jags looks aside from any and everything else, but that's just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.
TiM

mw291

Aug 3, 2011
Westfield,MA
Dude I just built my first cruiser like a week ago and it is one of the best things I ever did. One thing I know you want to be sure on is how the motor is gonna fit. I boughta Electra cruiser which looks awesome and its a 26 inch frame but the bottome bar extends out which made mounting the motor challenging. Main thing is pick something cool. I was wondering if people would be making fun of me for making a bike look like a motorcycle but I gotta tell you my bike looks awesome and every where I ride people have questions. It may take a little to get it all together but once its done its gonna be worth it. Dont let other people ride it. They wont treat it as you would cuz they didnt build it. I let 2 co workers try it in the parking lot at work. They didnt do any real damage but once you build this thing you dont want scratches.