jim chicago first build pics

GoldenMotor.com

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
That's a lovely build :D There are two things I notice that I would change if I were you, and both are safety related. 1) get a good rear brake as that is where 60% of the stopping power on a bike comes from. The other is that you should make sure your fenders are secured with THE BEST hardware money can buy, beef it up, because they will try to kill you if you don't :D I love the look of schwinns in general though, and yours sure is clean. Looks super comfortable with that springer :D Have fun and be safe!

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
That's a lovely build :D There are two things I notice that I would change if I were you, and both are safety related. 1) get a good rear brake as that is where 60% of the stopping power on a bike comes from. The other is that you should make sure your fenders are secured with THE BEST hardware money can buy, beef it up, because they will try to kill you if you don't :D I love the look of schwinns in general though, and yours sure is clean. Looks super comfortable with that springer :D Have fun and be safe!
Actually, most of the stopping power comes from the front brake; & there isn't really anything that can be done to beef up the fenders except to replace the struts with something made from thicker steel. (They usually crack right where the strut meets the fender.)
I always tell people to remove the fenders to be safe. :)

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
I hear ya, oops :D I have seen people do tougher brackets on their fenders though and ditch the struts altogether

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
I had the same bike. Get new fender struts and replace the mounts with heavy L brackets from the hardware store. If not the'll shred after 100mi or so.