V-8 Gas Tank

GoldenMotor.com

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Well got you to look.. It's a V-8 juice can that I used to make a behind the seat tank. I will have to give silverbear credit for this one since it was his post that gave me the idea. I must say his tanks with the leather bag look soooo much better than mine.

Well it was cheap...o wait inexpensive to make and I am using this on a low budget build with left over parts. The pictures show this tank un-painted. I just have this kick with the look of raw metal but I am going to paint it. Something crazy.

Total cost:
Can of V-8 2.99
Brass fittings 5.00
Silver solder 5.00
Billet clamp 10.00
Sheet metal 0.00

The finished product PRICELESS

Attachments

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
I use the Hinny Kan Draft keg. About 25.00 full! Drain it, plumb it, Mount it, Fill it, and RIDE IT (c) I knew that was coming, a call from my attorney, Also, I Do Not advocate the use of any substance that could alter you in any way, prior, or during any activity that involves Motorized Bicycles. This includes, but is limited to, Beer, Wine,Whiskey, Tequila,Gin, Vodka, White Lightin' , Or anything else! Have Fun :)

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
CCC,
Nice job on your tank, and thanks also for the compliment to me. I guess because I've made so many of them the tank has come to be associated with me. But credit for thinking of it in the first place should go to Rockenstein for his Apple juice gas tank. I never would have thought of it had he not paved the way. The leather work is really my contribution to the juice can tank. Norm at Venice bikes suggested the stainless straps and BarelyAwake suggested the brass hose cap almost a year ago.
I have made a couple in the coffee can size, but coffee cans don't work well, because one end has a foil cover and not a solid lid. In the same size can you can sometimes find tomato or pizza sauce. The contents of whatever you use needs to be a liquid so you can remove what's inside without removing the lids. With the juice cans I start by punching two holes, one at the gas outlet and the other at the filler location. Drain it out. With something like pizza sauce you need to make the opening where the fill goes a little larger so you can get the sauce out. There's a thread on this way back in the archives. Do a search for the apple juice tank for Rockenstein's version or V-8 tank for mine. Happy to answer questions, but you get a real good idea from CCC in this thread. The price of materials is right, but there's a fair amount of labor time and your soldering needs to be good.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
CCC,
Nice job on your tank, and thanks also for the compliment to me. I guess because I've made so many of them the tank has come to be associated with me. But credit for thinking of it in the first place should go to Rockenstein for his Apple juice gas tank. I never would have thought of it had he not paved the way. The leather work is really my contribution to the juice can tank. Norm at Venice bikes suggested the stainless straps and BarelyAwake suggested the brass hose cap almost a year ago.
I have made a couple in the coffee can size, but coffee cans don't work well, because one end has a foil cover and not a solid lid. In the same size can you can sometimes find tomato or pizza sauce. The contents of whatever you use needs to be a liquid so you can remove what's inside without removing the lids. With the juice cans I start by punching two holes, one at the gas outlet and the other at the filler location. Drain it out. With something like pizza sauce you need to make the opening where the fill goes a little larger so you can get the sauce out. There's a thread on this way back in the archives. Do a search for the apple juice tank for Rockenstein's version or V-8 tank for mine. Happy to answer questions, but you get a real good idea from CCC in this thread. The price of materials is right, but there's a fair amount of labor time and your soldering needs to be good.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Well got you to look.. It's a V-8 juice can that I used to make a behind the seat tank. I will have to give silverbear credit for this one since it was his post that gave me the idea. I must say his tanks with the leather bag look soooo much better than mine.

Well it was cheap...o wait inexpensive to make and I am using this on a low budget build with left over parts. The pictures show this tank un-painted. I just have this kick with the look of raw metal but I am going to paint it. Something crazy.

Total cost:
Can of V-8 2.99
Brass fittings 5.00
Silver solder 5.00
Billet clamp 10.00
Sheet metal 0.00

The finished product PRICELESS
Nice job on your tank and thanks for complimenting me on mine. Credit for thinking of the idea should go to Rockenstein for his Apple Juice tank a year ago or thereabouts. Since then I've made a number of them and think they make a nice tank.
SB

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
When I seen Silverbear's post I have saved cans. Going to exspirment with them love the lights he made, tuna air cleaner, have saved propane cylinders. I refill them for camp stove.
That is one awesome tank. And the one made from tubing I wonderd why more don't make tanks and weld them in for top tubes,nice work