Northwoods Ridgedale Cruiser Build

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
This morning I decided to start installing the electrical. First thing I did was install the throttle grip. The instructions said to drill a 1/4" hole in the bars, but that would have been way too big. A 1/8" hole was just right. I dicided to put the CDI in top of the crank, under the motor. I started running and soldering wires till the mailman showed with my hub adapter, then I spent the rest of the day installing it.

I did have to bend my coaster brake arm a little to clear the sprocket bolts, and then I had to grind a little metal off the arm to clear the frame.

My thanks to biardco for explaining how to remove the arm. I didn't know how to do it, but after reading his post it truely was easy as pie.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Hey where'd all my pics go?

I may not quite have this picture thing figured out all the way yet.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I think I need to install the cables before trying to finish the electrical. I noticed some people run some of the wires with the cables.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I guess you noticed I work about as fast as grass grows. Today I installed the cables. Took me forever. In order to do that I had to install the intake manifold. Before I could do that I had to clean it up a little with my dremel. Then I had to search the forum because I didn't knoow how much to torque the nuts to. Then the throttle cable was to long. Had so search some more to find out how to shorten a cable. Finally got that sorted out.

Only real issue now is just the chain tensioner. I ran all my wires under the engine, but haven't hooked them together yet. Not too worried about the wireing, I'm good at that.

Just the chain is bothering me a little. I don't like how much slop it has, but I don't see any way out of it. Maybe I'll think better tomorrow, it's late now.

The help I'm getting from this forum is wonderful.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
This is how my chain tensioner ended up. I spent all day reinforcing the bracket I made yesterday because I could see a slight amount of flexing when rolling the motor over. Now it looks solid.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
My first ride report,

I took down the street. Got up to about 7 mph and let out the clutch. It popped a couple of time but didn't start. I reached down and cut the choke back to 1/2 and it started right up. It seemed to be running good so I turned the choke off all the way.

Now we're cruising. Noticed I'm getting RF interference on my speedo. I rode up and down my block about 10 times. My 40 tooth sprocket is pretty tall for this little girl. Vibration is nonexistent. The exhaust is very quite. I never got over about 15 mph.

I love her.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I forgot to mention total weight with 1 qt fuel is 56.2 lbs. The bicycle alone was 30 lb.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
My approximant total cost, including shipping and taxes. Costs can go up if you need any tools, like I did.

$150 Northwoods Ridgedale Beach Cruiser
$125 Zoom Cycle 48cc kit
$075 Pirate cycle hub adapter & 415 chain
$040 REI Rear Rack
$036 Profile Design Dual Bottle Cage.
$032 2 petcocks
$040 2 30oz fuel bottles
$005 Spark Plug Cap
$007 Stars hockey puck
$003 NGK Spark plug
$003 1 3/4" muffler clamp
$002 Plug Wire
$030 Misc Hardware & Raw Stock
$002 1/4" Fuel Line
$002 Metal Fuel Tee

$552

Whew, wait till Buffy finds out about this. She's going to have a $%!t attack.

In addition to all this, I also bought but didn't use a clamshell adapter and sprocket for about $90, and a ZTR spring loaded chain tensioner for $85. I also spent about $40 more on some tools I needed. I don't have many metrics.

Still compared to the prices I'm used to paying for parts for my Harleys this is nothing.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I had my first cop encounter today. I was waiting at a stop sign and he drove by at the intersection. He eyed me as he drove past, but just kept going. My motor wasn't running, but I don't think he knew that.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I been riding all over creation. Gone through over a qt of gas so far. Already had a couple of minor issues.

First I got a flat tire yesterday, thanks to a staple in my best friends driveway. Took me 30 minutes to replace the inner tube. Takes me all day to replace a tire on one of my motorcycles.

Then I noticed my rear wheel had too much play in the rear hub bearings. Took 5 minutes to adjust the bearing end play.

Next it started dying at idle when I came to stop signs. I thought maybe the spark plug might be fouling, but it turned out to just be the idle stop screw loosening up from vibration. This caused me to discover a performance enhancement though, because when I thought the plug was fouling I switched from a NGK B6HS to a BP6HS extended reach plug. This increased the top speed about 2-3 mph, and has mo betta throttle response. Before changing the plug I had noticed it wouldn't quite take full throttle, but now it does.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I been riding all over creation. Gone through over a qt of gas so far. Already had a couple of minor issues.

First I got a flat tire yesterday, thanks to a staple in my best friends driveway. Took me 30 minutes to replace the inner tube. Takes me all day to replace a tire on one of my motorcycles.

Then I noticed my rear wheel had too much play in the rear hub bearings. Took 5 minutes to adjust the bearing end play.

Next it started dying at idle when I came to stop signs. I thought maybe the spark plug might be fouling, but it turned out to just be the idle stop screw loosening up from vibration. This caused me to discover a performance enhancement though, because when I thought the plug was fouling I switched from a NGK B6HS to a BP6HS extended reach plug. This increased the top speed about 2-3 mph, and has mo betta throttle response. Before changing the plug I had noticed it wouldn't quite take full throttle, but now it does.
Those are common problems that can occur with a new ride, except the flat. After you get the bugs worked out you should have no problems... well hopefully.

Keep an eye out on that rear hub, it may take a few times of adjusting the cones before you get it just right. What a sweet ride biknut (^)