water in the cdi and clutch wear issues

GoldenMotor.com

1alaskaman

Jun 29, 2010
alaska
Ok,
First let me introduce myself I stumbled on your web forums as soon as I started looking at building a motor bike. I have build my first one and managed to do it in about 3 hours. I used to be a Subaru mechanic. The 2 issues ive come across so far and the first im am only guessing at but it seems water is able to get into the CDI at the plug wire, the reason I say this is I put the bike together it ran no issues then on the same day it rained. Once it was done raining I went out to ride the bike some more and I couldnt get it to run. My thoughts were since that CDI plug wire port is facing up water got in and shorted the spark from the plug. I was thinking that once I dry it out I could silicone it and that should fix it. If you have had this and found the solution let me know.
The next issue is the clutch the only adjustment I can find is basicly tension of the cable. Though it seems that it needed three adjustments and still wants to slip especially when popping the clutch not really while riding with motor power. I was just curioous if there was a secondary adjustment under the clutch cover.

~1ALASKAMAN~

1alaskaman

Jun 29, 2010
alaska
Somehow that doesnt make since seeing as the wires enter the lower portion of the motor but the CDI sits exposed and once everything has had time to dry it runs again. That is why I pointed towards the actual plug wire, Because if water gets to the base of it IE in the CDI it would allow a large amount of the Spark to hop the wire I can see it being the magneto though I could be wrong.

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az
well down where all the wire connects to the magneto on the case is a small rubber seal that holds the wire together is that not seal water can get to it and shorten the magneto as for the cdi i have you try replacing it its pretty much trial and error with these chinese motors once you find one problem another one pops out

CoastalCruiser

Apr 28, 2010
Spaced Coast
Yes, pump the wire hole full of silicone/RTV. Give the clutch pads some time to wear in and always pedal away from a stop and then release the clutch.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i change out the plug wire for a better one (7mm copper core, non-resistance) and slide a piece of heat shrink tubing over it when i install it. it's just screwed into the CDI, so you can unscrew it to take it out.

when i'm wiring up a bike, i take out the rubber grommet at the magneto, slide another piece of heatshrink over the white cloth bundle all the way up to the mag, then put the grommet back in. makes it look cleaner, too, not having the wires showing.

another old moto-x trick is to get a rubber boot and put it over the throttle cable and the top of the carb so water can't trickle down into your carb.

my advice, is make sure a part is bad before you replace it. i wish i had all the CDI's and Magnetos that people keep replacing for no reason, then i could sell them back to them when they think the next one went bad.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Just get a good wire, then right before you thread it in, smear a goodly amount of silicone grease on the first portion of the wire jacket. As it goes in it should make a nice fillet of grease to seal it. Don't use regular grease, silicone grease aka "tune up grease" for cars.

I've rode in the rain a time or two - my magneto case is decently sealed - but odd as it sounds, the engine will run better with the grease on the plug wire vs. without. I've tried it a few times both ways.

SBP Plug wire