Self flooding

GoldenMotor.com

tudorvintiloiu

Apr 19, 2010
Romania
Hi guys,

I thought I should share this, maybe someone else has encountered this issue.

Whenever i don't ride my MB for a couple of days (like over the weekend), it simply refuses to start anymore (like on Monday morning).
Through a lot of scratching my head and random tinkering, I solved the mistery. My carb gets flooded by itself, just sitting there.
I know what you will say. That I should close the petcock. It is closed. Maybe the fuel that's still left on the fuel line just drips into the carb. I don't know.

Bottom line is that I have to unscrew that little screw at the bottom of the carb and drain all the gas that's inside the carb, before it will even consider starting.

A solution to this would be appreciated, but this situation lead to another problem: The tiny screw is screwed.. as in.. broken.. as in.. it's too tight and I can't open it anymore. What should I do now?

Yours,

Tudor

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
To get that screw out you can do two things. The easiest is to cut a slot in the head with a dremel tool then use a large flathead screwdriver to get it out.

The second is to get an easy out bit althoughI think that screw might be to small for that to work.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Put a shutoff valve at the bottom of your fuel line right next to the inlet of the carb and no gas from the line will go into the carb bowl. or you could buy a new carb that comes with a shutoff valve at the inlet,but they have leaks and problems too sometimes. i bought a shutoff valve myself.

I adjusted my float bowl tabs and nomore leaks or flooding in float bowl so i have yet to put in the shutoff valve.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Cabinfever has the right idea. Adjust the float level. While you have the bowl off the carburetor it will be easier to get the drain screw out and you can check the needle and seat for trash that might be holding it open and that the float is floating (not filled with fuel). I would try these ideas before investing in a new carb. Working and adjusted correctly the float/needle and seat should stop excess fuel from flooding the engine even if you forget to close the petcock.
Tom

tudorvintiloiu

Apr 19, 2010
Romania
Thanks!

Great advice! I'll try and check the float thing. Gotta search a thread that explains how, since i don't really have a clue. But i'll figure it out now that I know what to look for. Thanks again!

T.