brake wear on rim

GoldenMotor.com

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
I have aluminum rims and recently adjusting the brakes I noticed the side of the rim has some wear on it, at this point its slight when you feel it but I was wondering at what point the rim might need to be replaced. The side of the rim cant be more than an 1/8th in thickness. If the brake were to wear through it when riding at 25 mph that wouldnt be a good thang. Any thoughts or experiences on this?

Sydneysider

Mar 20, 2009
Sydney
Wouldnt be a good thing at all.. maybe the old style brake pads were better in this regard, the type that you could see rubber wearing down to the metal that holds it in place. The brake pads that we use nowadays is bigger and grippier, but you cant see the damn metal thats in the middle of the rubber and when it contacts the rim edge, you know that its grinding the rim edge away.. ouch!

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
And this makes me wonder if it is possible to use disc brakes on one of these bikes. I know next to nothing about bicycle disc brakes, would they interfere with the engine driven sprocket?

Sydneysider

Mar 20, 2009
Sydney
Im thinking maybe it would be ok if you spaced the disc and rear sprocket apart somehow from each other using a spacer of some sort

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
Hmm, I've been thinking about the spacer thing. The other thing I was thinking of was using a shift kit. you wouldn't necessarily have to shift, it would be possible to put one big sprocket on one side and the disc brakes on the other.

Sydneysider

Mar 20, 2009
Sydney
actually the shift kits already come with the front chain wheel replacement plus new cranks so you wont need to use the big sprocket that comes with the kit at all.. you can still shift gears and have the disc brake too..

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
Ah I see. The only reason I suggested not shifting was because my Dad has had a lot of trouble with the chain jumping off on his shift kit equipped bike. Not sure where he got it, it's not the one on SBP. He plans to correct that problem by using an internally geared hub instead of the derailleur. But anyway, I guess the shift kit would be the easiest way to use disc brakes then. Though I might still try the spacer thing some day.