BIG Problem with Front Mount and my Bike :)

GoldenMotor.com

longhorn6

Sep 2, 2009
Richardson, TX
here is some pics of my motorized bike among other problems is that the front mount totally broke and its running on one screw. tried jb weld with no avail. dont know how to fix this cant weld it to frame cause its potmetal. sooooooo idk any questions answers ? :-||

Attachments

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
It CAN be welded - it's jus a bit of a pain, I'd recommend taking it to someone that is good w/TIG

It's a straightforward job - if you prep it for him and get all that ol' JBweld outa there ;)

edit: not welding the motor to the frame ofc, steel and aluminum don't like each other that much lol

Last edited:

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
It may be cheaper to just start over and use this engine as a parts donor. Did your bike fall down a flight of cement stairs? :(

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
I would use a cut off wheel and grind the holes even. Drill 1/2 " and tap the holes. 8 mm is a good bolt.
Use JB weld the mount is a little stronger that way. Use stainless Allen head bolts. Set the mount on the frame..trk

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
On second thought, looking at the other damage to your bike - yeah...

Sorry man, it just might be better to scrap that one for parts TBH

longhorn6

Sep 2, 2009
Richardson, TX
doesn't saddletramp1200 have a ood idea? does anyone else think that could be done? AND why buy a whole new motor this one works just fine its just the frontend/mounting. How about getting a whole new front end (crank case) Kevlarr?

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
One of the mounts from the clutch cover is broken too which will eventually cause the other two to break.

Think of this as the price of learning how not to install a 2 cycle motor. Read the instructions FULLY before your start, read the threads here on installation and take your time. Make sure everything is right and tight before the test ride.
Oh yea one other thing, read the instructions! :D

longhorn6

Sep 2, 2009
Richardson, TX
Thanks for the link !! Probably gonna buy that motor for $55 what a steal !! That would solve my mounting/clutch problems. I forgot i had some cash stashed away in case something came up, PERFECT !! I will be much more aware when installing this motor. Will read ALL instructions that came with my kit and on this forum. Whos that guy that lives like 45 min. away from me? MAYBE i can politely ask for his help to put it together since he probably has way more experience than i do. hehe

Qdot

Nov 11, 2008
Langley b.c canada
A friend of mine had the same problem. He fixed the front mount with JB weld for the last time and welded a brace from the top of the frame (inside) and then bolted it around the intake manifold. His front mount eventually broke again but not for a long time but the top brace kept it strong, he still hasnt fixed the front mount and its solid as a rock.

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az
it will be better to buy a replacement engine and keep thisone for parts if you take to get weld it on it will be the same price as of buying a replacement motor plus just like the other people said if you fix one problem another one is going to appear if i was you i rather be safe than sorry

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
From the pics it looks like he could drill a hole say a 1/2 in above the break all the way through the cast mount and use a bolt to go all the way through with a nut and some kind of metal plate reenforcement with it. Just going by the way it looks in the pics.

EnFlaMEd

Aug 25, 2009
South Australia
Hey dude I did the exact same damage to my front mount. What I did was file away the damage and filed the bottoms of both mounts so they are flat and even. I probably took nearly 10mm of material out. I then drilled the bolt holes deeper into the casting (not heaps!) and retapped the holes. Its not a pretty solution but it seems to have worked for me and hasn't failed again since. This pic shows the damaged side, the other side I filed down to match but obviously the bolt is fully enclosed on that side.

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
I had the same problem on my first installation kit,it a pain in the ass bro.I just got another kit today that i installed after reading here+manual over multiple times I'm still having problems.Just take your time with the next build,believe me it will be worth the effort an money!

EnFlaMEd

Aug 25, 2009
South Australia
Mine happened after shearing both front studs. I retaped and used bolts instead but unfortunately one of the bolts was slightly to long and I over tightened it.

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
everywhere i go on here , i here people say just use some JB Weld . Epoxy - whatever - its still just glue . would you glue you cylinder head down on your car ? Seriously , do the owners of JB Weld run this site ? I realy don,t care how well it has worked for anyone else . Glue is NOT a suitable repair for a stripped thread . PERIOD . Retapping to the next size , or a helicoil is . I,m just glad we are working with 80cc,s here . if you tried to glue the head on my yamaha roadstar 1600 cc , your testicles would be wrapped around the 3rd vertibrea of your spine before you hit the end of the driveway .
sorry for the graphic nature of my comment . but i don,t believe glue can REPAIR a thread , or any other broken metal component , that must endure heat stress and torque .

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
LongHorn,
Keep that motor for parts, order a new one and this time go a little easier with the wrenches. Looks like your clutch actuator cover has suffered a little too. Was that from broken screws or a crash?
Tom