80cc 2 stroke Engine kit - Engine Low Power and die

GoldenMotor.com

motortime

Dec 26, 2016
Dubai, U.A.E.
I just installed the kit, I tried to run the engine a couple of time and it works. the third time I push the choke half way, I start the engine, it starts but with low power.. .engine speed is steady even I squeeze my throttle down. I dont see any leaks here, or oil spilling on my gasket. Please help

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Did you return the choke to the "off" position? The carbs that ship with these kits are simple. They're either ON or OFF. They're choked when the lever is UP and not choked when the lever's DOWN. You're in a pretty warm, dry, and sea-leveled region; you really shouldn't need to choke. Do you know what your jet-size is?

motortime

Dec 26, 2016
Dubai, U.A.E.
Should I turn my choke "OFF" (down)?, because the engine works fine when it is in up position ("ON"?). but the third time i started it, I turned the choke off (down), and that was the time the engine have an issue. It's winter right now here and the weather cools down a bit like 19 to 17 deg. at night (the time i tested the kit). I used the stock jet, I don't know what is the size of it.

And before I forgot I am using a 16:1 with my fuel/oil ratio (breaking In). When I say the engine was fine (the time the engine has no issue), its running perfectly with a good coordination with my throttle (up=fast, release=slow), but it dies when I try to slow down, while gradually squeezing the throttle and stop. I heard that, there is also a reach/lean effect with the engine from the fuel/oil ratio, do you think that somehow an issue? do I have to go to 24:1 or something?.

Thanks

Last edited:

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
I would HIGHLY recommend a 24:1 mix to break-in. In fact, I've been in the habit of using standard 2-stroke oil @ 32:1 from the start. 16:1 is WAY too much oil, and is bad advice from the early days. I think it may have to do with the poorer-quality Chinese oils. Although it's cool in the UAE, 18 deg is still warm enough not to need the choke...at least in my experience. It's 10 deg here today in NY, and my bike started right up. I actually removed the choke-lever on the carb I have installed now since it was defective (it kept engaging due to vibration). When the temperature was around -4 a couple of weeks back, I needed to pedal @ full-throttle for about 100m before it fired-up. I'm at sea-level too.

motortime

Dec 26, 2016
Dubai, U.A.E.
Thanks Mister!

Woow, it was with the choke! yiiw!. ..cheers to that. My motor runs fast. The choke thing really helps. And one thing, I have to idle (stop, not kill) my motor and by doing that I need to squeeze tight the clutch, right? My motor vibrates hard, as if it revs up to the highest rpm. .do I have to adjust the carb. I jet my carb 1 notch before the leanest.

Thanks Mister! you are really are a good help! thanks to the forum as well!

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Unfortunately your engine is will continue to vibrate like that and there's nothing you can do about it. Unless you tear the engine completely apart and balance the crankshaft, it will just vibrate.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Glad to help!

That high-reving could be a result of the mix being lean. Too much oil and/or too little fuel -to-air can cause leanness. You should also check for air-leaks at the intake (between the head and carb). Make sure the carb's needle-clip is in the middle index to start, and adjust accordingly. If it's lean, raise the needle a notch; this will allow more fuel. You should also perform a plug-chop to inspect the condition of your spark-plug. Use the search-function on this site to find that information.

Your vibration issues may be a result of the high-revs as well as a loose mount: make sure all nuts are properly torqued. DO NOT use anti-vibration "solutions" like rubber-padding. These engines should be securely and firmly mounted to the bike-frame.

motortime

Dec 26, 2016
Dubai, U.A.E.
Thanks for the reply Agreen, but that's way too far. I think I just tune my carb first.. .there are lots of part to be adjusted with my carb. I think I'll give a try first for mr. kiosk suggestion before opening my engine.

Last edited:

motortime

Dec 26, 2016
Dubai, U.A.E.
Thanks Mr. Kiosk, I think I have tuned the high rev once and the issue persist after a couple of run and stop.

I'll remount my engine again since this is now working and try to figure out how to tune it with the carb. Ill note all your suggestions. ..thank you so much!