Spark plug?

GoldenMotor.com
Aug 14, 2016
Texas
So I was riding and my engine cut off when I engaged my clutch and came to a stop. I tried to start it but after the sound of,the combustion, nothing happened. Do I need a new spark? Its,pretty old.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
spark plugs fail, but not too often - never hurts to buy one even if just for a spare

look thru the "no spark" troubleshooting steps

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
If it's one of the two-strokes, I keep hearing how the kill switches can be a pain also. I replaced mine with a toggle switch from Radio Shack right from the beginning so I've never had to deal with it, but I've heard other people having trouble with the cheap ones shorting out or failing to work at all.
Have you pulled the plug and, with the cable on it, held it to the head to check for spark? If not, the plug and the kill switch are some of the cheapest fixes you can do.

Aug 14, 2016
Texas
I use my choke to kill the engine. I accidently broke a wire from the kill switch so only the black wire remains in tact. I put the spark plug to my engine and pushed and saw no spark for the plug. So I assume that's the problem unless this is not what you are asking me.

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
It could also be that the magneto is bad. Was it by any chance raining or wet when the engine died? If even a small amount of water gets in the magneto housing it can ruin them.

Aug 14, 2016
Texas
I have an oil leak problem from my exhaust gasket being bad until my new ones come in mail today. Oil may have gotten into it which god I hope isn't the case, I should have bought a spare box.