Motorized Bicycle Take a Tip...Leave a Tip

GoldenMotor.com

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
I am surprised with the lack of comment for or against. Me personally I don't like it dueto the amount of carbon build up from burning motor oil. 2-stroke oil has been designed to mix with petrol (Gasoline) and burn in a conbustion chamber. A fair amount of carbon is produced which is why an exhaust pipe get blocked up. I personally won't do it.
I actually got that idea from a guy in town that does that...hes had the same motor for 6 years and has not had issues at all...my riding buddy uses 10w-40 instead of 2smoke oil and has 3974 miles as of yesterday on his china girl...you can do whatever you want...its your bike...as for the exhaust blocking up, I've had no issues...but I constantly make sure my parts are operational...removing and cleaning parts constantly...especially my chain and air filter...failure to do that may cause blockage...

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Run on 100:1 Amsoil for over 10,000 miles, retired shortly after this pic not due to engine failure, but because all of the bicycle's components needed replacing & it was cheaper to simply buy a new bike;

I suspect w/these motors anyway, the type & amount of oil used has less to do with longevity then simply luck of the draw, the random quality control or lack thereof as the case may be...

Run what you wish *shrug*

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
As for me, after every 15-20 rides, I remove the spark plug and dump 2 ounces of motor oil into the engine...
shes gonna smoke like a tire fire but you will be well lubed...
You pour regular 4-stroke Motor oil like 30W into your 2-stroke engine to lube it?

Sorry wicked but there is a difference between 2-stroke oil and 4-stroke oil, gas dissolves and burns regular oil and why there is such a thing as 2-stroke oil.

I can see how a couple ounces of 2-stroke oil can't hurt if you work it around pedaling around with no plug in to lube the low end up a bit but otherwise just a proper gas/oil mix works just dandy on it's own.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Any extra oil poured in is washed out seconds after starting by the gas/oil mix anyway. 2 stroke or 4 stroke, makes no difference.

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
You pour regular 4-stroke Motor oil like 30W into your 2-stroke engine to lube it?

Sorry wicked but there is a difference between 2-stroke oil and 4-stroke oil, gas dissolves and burns regular oil and why there is such a thing as 2-stroke oil.

I can see how a couple ounces of 2-stroke oil can't hurt if you work it around pedaling around with no plug in to lube the low end up a bit but otherwise just a proper gas/oil mix works just dandy on it's own.

Im quite aware of this fact...i have a 2smoke chainsaw handed down to me that is run on 10-30 for more than 25 years...and you could cut a trailer in half with the right chain...there are members of this forum that only use regular motor oil...my riding buddy runs 20w-50 vtwin oil with cam2 gas and octane booster...2oz every 100miles to help lube...well I ain't worried

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Running "regular motor oil" will work, but is not even close to the protection of modern 2 stroke mix. It also promotes A LOT of carbon build up, and smoke.

Your buddy who runs that witches brew of v twin oil cam2 and octane booster is throwing away money, (cutting octane by using heavy oil, then boosting it back up with octane booster).

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
Hey joe I agree but its his bike and I've tried to give him advice I've learned here but he won't listen...i can attest for the fact that I'm on engine 3 and he has almost 4 thousand miles...may be hes got something special in his brew...

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
tip# 75412564458985

to get out the glued plug wire from the CDI unit, take a set of vice-grips and clamp the existing plug wire just above the plastic collar.(not tooo tight, u will end up puncuring and ripping the wire)
twist lightly back and forth, for about 30 seconds going alittle bit further each time. but keep an eye on the wire, dont wanna break it.
it will come loose and it will come out.
it worked on mine. :)

LAguyyy

Super Skilled Master Newb
Feb 25, 2013
Honolulu, hi
So went to auto parts store and asked for a spark plug wire and boot. He asked what car that they had many? Can anybody help with which is a good upgrade wire for my 80 china girl with stock cdi? Plus side I upgraded the plug to a ngk b6hs and she seems to fire much more smoothly.

Wally

Dec 25, 2011
South Africa
Do you have a Franchise dealer? They normally sell plug wire by the foot, sounds like they wanted to sell you a made up cable set which is made for a specific car. Then you also need a spark plug cap a 90 degree one mine is an NGK cap. Tell him it is for your lawn mower :) That should work if it is the same size as the cap.

LAguyyy

Super Skilled Master Newb
Feb 25, 2013
Honolulu, hi
Thanks for the help. I'm in hawaii so would rather not order it. I'll try the auto parts store again and find someone who's willing to work for me. On another note my arrow torquer II exhaust should arrive today. There are no pics and few reviews online so this will be interesting. Hope the fab is easy. Pics will follow later.

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
So went to auto parts store and asked for a spark plug wire and boot. He asked what car that they had many? Can anybody help with which is a good upgrade wire for my 80 china girl with stock cdi? Plus side I upgraded the plug to a ngk b6hs and she seems to fire much more smoothly.
& by all means listen to Legwon

Before I ever found this web site a few years ago I had a CDI issue " or at least I though I did I was trying to get the wire off and every place I looked no one could or knew how to get the wire out \of the CDI So me being me I resort to brute strength as is the norm when I'm dealing with a stubborn issue I grabbed the CDI & swung it down 90° put my foot on the frame made a half wrap of the plug wire around my hand and started pulling like a M.F. nothing .

So I figured wow this thing is really in there it must have melted in there I'm thinking with that thought. I gave it everything I had and ripped the little screw out of the CDI & landed on my azz. looked at it and said HMM that looks like a screw!! got some wise grips and unthreaded with minimal effort Lesson learned. I think, after that & trying to repair the CDI is when I found this wonderful resource we call "motorbicycling.com" If I had only clicked the link below the first one

I could have avoided that learning curve. It must have been super glued because it was stronger than that ABS plastic . I have like 8 spare CDI's now I salvaged off of a boat motor

Last edited: