Centrifugal Clutch

GoldenMotor.com

saetta

Jul 29, 2008
Central Missouri
What are the positives and negatives of having a centrifugal clutch and does it become a crank clearance issue on the bike? How about on the Schwinn Chopper?

ZnsaneRyder

Nov 21, 2008
FLORIDA
A centrifugal is like an automatic transmission, just gas and go. You have to lube it more on a bicycle if you have fast gearing, but as long as you don't ride too slow for too long, they are great.

Positives, easy to drive and install and use. Easy to replace.
Cons, requires regular maintenance to last. Can't ride for too long at slow speeds.

I really like how the 2-stroke kits have a manual clutch, so you can disengage the engine, but also start the engine by pedaling, and also less slip. I wish they made a manual clutch gearbox like this to bolt on to a 4-stroke.

The clearance of your clutch will depend on the engine you use. A centrifugal clutch on a 4-stroke usually sticks out a bit, but no more than a gearbox sticks out. I'd recommend a guard or cover of some sort if it's near your leg, they are nasty and throw grease, and you don't want to get your leg in the chain.

If you can fit it on your bike, a belt-drive CVT (continuously variable transmission) would be even better than a centrifugal clutch. It uses the belt and changing the pulley width with RPM to change ratios. It's supposedly smoother than a centrifugal clutch.

Last edited: