hello from huffycruiser

GoldenMotor.com

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
I gotta say this has been an adventure i have read many threads from the forum here and i must say most have bailed my sorry non bike mechanical butt out of a lot of wtf do i do now! I picked the wrong bike to use at first and quickly {6 hours later cough cough) realized its not gunna be easy. problem after problem back to the guy that sold me the kit Steve is his name great guy in Deland Fl area for upgrade parts and ooops replacement parts and finally the kit is on my exchanged Huffy cruiser. All but the chain cause my sorry butt cut it too short. So today i am off to the bike shop to have them BREAK a few links back on. hopefully today i can put some gas in it and TRY to start. This is day SIX of this and i am about finished but i didn't rush took my time and i figure the reward will be well worth the aggravation. So to all those people who ask me "HOW EASY WAS IT TO PUT TOGETHER" the answer will depend upon if i like you or not. So for now that's my hello good luck to everyone!

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
hello, and welcome! you'll find plenty of good help here.

dont sweat your 6-day build....my first build all those years ago, wasnt even done by me....just picked it up along the way w/all the maintenance (oh yes. you'll see :) )

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
Day Seven WTF else can go wrong. i had the chain links added back on now chain is too long! So it will be back to the bike shop in the morning. Good news is i ordered a mechanical speedometer for $15 bucks! i think the kid that broke the chain didn't understand 1 link plus bearing doesn't equal 2 links i can't even pick up the slop with the chain guide all the way to the back. i did get the engine lined up and the engine tightened down i am still not drilling out my frame gotta figure out a bracket for the front. I know a few stainless steel welder guys i am gunna super ziptie it for the test tomorrow then it will down to the shop to figure something out. by the way has anyone used a generator light running off the white wire successfully yet?

xPosTech

The Old Master Motorized Bicycle Builder
Oct 23, 2008
SETexas
Don't jerry-rig it!. Do you want to twist the engine around the seatpost into your leg or possibly even fall off the bike? :eek: Mount it down before you try riding it. Make sure all fasteners are tight.

Better safe than sorry.

I wouldn't cut corners breaking it in either. Check fasteners before every ride until you're confident they aren't loosening. Then check them regularly.

Lots of people have successfully utilized the alternator on the engine. Some engines have a more capable alternator than others. At most expect 6V at 3 watts.

It's toward the end of a drawn out project that we are tempted to skip good work habits. We are all guilty of it to some degree or other. But make sure your bike is mechanically sound. You won't regret it later.

Good luck.

Ted

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
Yes i agree not going to " mickey mouse" rig the front mount just going to zip tie it long enough to get the motor started and running then take it by truck down to the weld shop. i just don't like the idea of drilling through curved structural supports on this huffy. i have learned many things in life. The biggest one being if you can't make it yourself pay someone who can do it right.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
You don't need anything welded for a front mount. All it requires is a piece of steel or aluminum and a muffler clamp.

And I'd agree, don't bother starting the motor till you get it mounted solidly.

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
OK now i am in a bind again literally. OK so now i have the chain on the bike and the chain adjuster in place. Looks good......but i took it out for a walk to let the sprockets line up and get free movement of the chain; however, now the motor has shifted away from the frame putting the muffler back in the way AGAIN. also now the front adapter plate motor mount cover is not centered to the frame. this does not really concern me as i am going to have a custom plate and mount cut for it but i was hoping for some advice. i am going to add a self tapping screw into the chain adjuster due to the small diameter of the frame there to keep it from "rocking" under power i take it that a torch and some time will move the muffler out of the way of the cranks. Aggggh! i did order a nice center stand that attaches to the standard kick stand hole for it at least it will not fall over when i park it! my head is spinning but i have not given up yet!

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Ok, hope this helps. Image in your mind a strip of steel wider than the width of the motor mount holes. Hold it to the motor and look to drill the steel to mount the steel in the middle holding it to the motor mount holes. Then bend it to fit the top & bottom of the frame. Two muffler clamps to hold it in place, one top and one on bottom. One on front and one on back. It won't move again. That's as clear as I can explain it.

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
great that's awesome really designing the mount is done and your right it wouldn't move again. Saying that all of this is for nothing since i didn't get the tire aligned properly so i get to do that first which should solve my line up issue!

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Far from it. You learned and that's always a great gift! We all share here. That's what makes us the best forum there is. I mess up Minute Rice. I can grill a steak you don't need a knife to cut. I watch, I learn, I share. Glad the tip will help. (c)

xPosTech

The Old Master Motorized Bicycle Builder
Oct 23, 2008
SETexas
My mom, Bless her heart, does steaks like that. You just break off a piece like peanut brittle. :(

Ted

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
after a two week battle with a chest cold i am back at it again now i get the concept of mounting the from motor mount with a muffler clamp. So tomorrow it begins again