newbie from pottstown,pa

GoldenMotor.com

mister406

May 31, 2011
pottstown,pa,U.S.A.
Hello everyone. I have been reading this forum for a year and am getting ready to build my 1st bike. It is going to be a schwin riverside powered by a 99 cc harbour freight motor. I think I am going to use a jackshaft so I can use the gears that are on it. I,m a big guy and I believe .the gears will be a big benifit. I realize it is going to be a big undertakeing but I have been studying on it for a while and I am looking forward to the challenge. I will be turning to this forum for info frequently.I will try to photo the build as if goes and post if anyone is interested usflg

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Mister, welcome.

Just a personal preference, but I really like the Riverside. Just think it is old world beautiful. I put a 79cc HF on one (same dimensions) and is about my favorite build. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=23871

Post lots of pictures!

OH, the fenders will try and kill you. Not kidding, they need to be shored up or removed. Not trying to worry you but is not if they will fail it is when. Lots of information on how to fix that and keep em but until, I cant say strongly enough to lose em for now.

JMHO

Last edited:

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
Welcome Mister!

There are a few active members in the area. I'm over by Harrisburg.

I just finished the beginning stages of my first bike. It's a 1930's frame. Supposedly it's an Elgin. The engine is a 66cc Chinagirl. It's a bit of a Frankenbike, but I like it.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome aboard. Good luck with your project and keep us posted on your progress.

If you plan to dump the fenders, keep me in mind. I've already relieved Dan of his. :)

Have fun, ride safe.

Tom

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL Tom. Was just sort of getting ready to move stuff to the new shop and Carol was with me. Went some thing like this; "shop, shop, dump, shop, Tom.." Carol "Tom?" yes, he gets the fenders"

Was just funny you mentioned it.

Sorry for rambling Mister.

mister406

May 31, 2011
pottstown,pa,U.S.A.
Hey Dan, Thanks for the reply.I was looking at the pics you posted and I noticed your motor seems to ride kinda high.I used a piece of 1/8 plate for my mount ,useing a 3 & 1/2 horse briggs for measurements. My mounting plate is all the way down to the chainguard,leaving me with 11 & 1//2 inches for the motor height before it hits the bottom of the top bars.Is there that much differance in the height of these 2 motors. I want to use the plate because I am going to incorporate the brackets for the jackshaft into it.I like the look of the motor sitting low and It seems to me that it would have a bettet center of gravity sitting as low as possible. Does this make any scense to you?pino.pino.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Hey Dan, Thanks for the reply.I was looking at the pics you posted and I noticed your motor seems to ride kinda high.I used a piece of 1/8 plate for my mount ,useing a 3 & 1/2 horse briggs for measurements. My mounting plate is all the way down to the chainguard,leaving me with 11 & 1//2 inches for the motor height before it hits the bottom of the top bars.Is there that much differance in the height of these 2 motors. I want to use the plate because I am going to incorporate the brackets for the jackshaft into it.I like the look of the motor sitting low and It seems to me that it would have a bettet center of gravity sitting as low as possible. Does this make any scense to you?pino.pino.
Yes, sure does. The engine is a Greyhound/HF 79cc and is mounted about as low as possible. The cylinder head on the pred and greyhounds sweep back and are not vertical. Kinda squat and long appearing.

Last edited:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
welcome, mister. I used to live in Pottstown myself, first on Jefferson St. and then below Cutillo's Restaurant. I am originally from Lancaster, but now live in Lebanon.