Rubber insulators

GoldenMotor.com

R123

Jun 23, 2012
Il
Hi, I am doing my first bicycle engine install, one of the early steps has me putting on the sprocket for the chain, the question is...the Rubber isolators seem to be too small for all the bolts to fit, any ideas or is the idea to stretch the rubber, any suggestions would be great, thank you.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Stretch it. I promise you, it will go. It takes some work and effort but all nine bolts will go in. Make sure the ends of the metal plates do not overlap and lay flush against each other.
Just in case you have a set of instructions that have the wrong information; you'll want a sandwich. from the outside in > Sprocket, rubber, spokes, rubber, metal plates. Do not bolt the sprocket directly to the spokes. There have been some kits with instructions that tell you to do that. IT IS WRONG.

Also we can't stress enough the importance of getting the sprocket perfectly centered on the rear hub. It must spin true with no wobbles.
Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Tom

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
On all of the bikes that i have done, those are a PITA. As you do them it gets easier. For any type of rider i always reccomend a Pirate Cycles Adapter. They always link up perfectly center and are a breeze to install.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
No.
That's not the way to install it correctly. The bolts will go through the holes and the holes will line up. Opening up the holes in the rubber will make for a loose, sloppy fit.
Do it right and you won't have problems. Take short cuts and you're letting yourself in for failure.

Many before you have installed the rear sprocket and most have had to do a little struggling to get it right. Follow our advice and you'll be okay.

Tom