Please help me get started

GoldenMotor.com

I forgot bullets

Apr 17, 2012
Ss- co
Hello!
This will be my first motor to bike conversion.
I just spent a couple hours searching this forum and this one certainly seems to have the brightest collection of people verse other sites.
Could you help me start this project?
I've got 700-1400 to make this happen
I'm looking for a super cheap bicycle, gears is a plus as my town is mountainous.
One that would work the best with a motor.
Then, what would be my best options for a 2 stroke 49+ engine? I would rather pay for quality.
Next any tips during install would be greatly appreciated
I do have a full on shop in my garage.
I have a strong sense of mechanical objects
Thanks for your help!

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
why a 2stroke as the 4strokes have less problems and last longer and no mixing gas with oil?

have you checked what your local laws are and whats legal to build?

I forgot bullets

Apr 17, 2012
Ss- co
Yes I am aware of local laws
I figured the 2 stroke would have a power advantage over 4 strokes at low rpm's.
What 4 stroke would you reccommend?

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
the 142 hs its a honda clone made in china with the 4G trans and a shift kit from sickbikeparts

same set up as above but a honda GX50 motor

99cc predator from harborfreight and a CVT
if you don't like the slanted 99cc one of these http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=28-1623&catname=engines

if the cvt don't meet what you want theres the Qmatic from EZm and the jackshaft kit from AGK

http://www.affordablegokarts.com/mm...e_Code=A&Product_Code=2600&Category_Code=99cc

depends on the look your going for and how much you think you can get away with

I forgot bullets

Apr 17, 2012
Ss- co
Let me elaborate
Looking for a 49-60cc so I don't need a license
I have a Honda sport bike so I'm interested in the gx50
I've been lookin around and found nuvinci n360
I would have never considered it till now
Can I run that with an engine and have my pedals and engine on the same gear?

If not can I run the nuvinvi with the motor and have the pedals on a single gear? (roles switched)

Money isn't an issue as this will be my main mode of transportation
The reason I don't buy a Vespa is that we have 1 and it's stock 49cc can't handle the grade where I live
If you suspect the bike engine wont add any enhanced performance please let me know. And maybe further explain as to what cc I need to comfortably ride uphill
I am 145 lbs of pure muscle
Thanks for the help!

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
I think the shift kit from SBP that Yank was talking about will give you the gearing to handle the hills. As long as the bikes gearing was there.

I forgot bullets

Apr 17, 2012
Ss- co
I did check out the shift kit.
It doesn't make sense to me to strain a bikes standard derailer to that point.
This is why Im lookin at the nuvinci, it would eliminate the chain having to gap multiple gears, would that help?
But now I know what I'm using if it doesn't

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
the nuvinci hubs do not do real well when used behind a motor
many people on this site love the shift kits that SBP sells
if you blow up a 7 speed freewheel is at the most $30 part nuvinci is over $200
the shiftkit just uses parts already on the Bicycle to put the power to the wheel

start with a good quality mountian bike with a steel frame

I forgot bullets

Apr 17, 2012
Ss- co
Awesome advice!
I'm now understanding the sbp shift gains
I for one am an avid bicyclist
So I know how many times I've fidgeted with my chain.
It would only make sense in my mind that adding an engine to the chain would only further cause problems.
You're right in that nuvinci's aren't made around the tolerances of being strapped to an engine and rode uphill, that strain would certainly show.
Is it not the same for a standard chain?
Is there any other option?
Obviously my sport bike has a chain and not centrifugal clutch so someone knows something I don't.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
nothing is perfect theres going to be trade offs as you are putting a motor on a bicycle that was never ment to have a motor on it

that being said yes you will wear out chains faster with the motor then just pedaling
but it is the best way to install a motor on a multispeed bike and not use a ragjoint
and keep the rear disk brake if the bike has one

always a staton kit
but you would have to order the honda from somewhere else as honda does not want their motors to be sold on gokarts gopeds or motorized bicycle
http://www.staton-inc.com/store/cat..._Gear_Chain_Drive_Engine_Motor_Kits-15-1.html

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I did check out the shift kit.
It doesn't make sense to me to strain a bikes standard derailer to that point.
This is why Im lookin at the nuvinci, it would eliminate the chain having to gap multiple gears, would that help?
But now I know what I'm using if it doesn't
We talked in PM, you want to build a shifter yourself that will handle a lot of elevation change in CO and be reliable correct?

You picked a bad time to start that project, me too it seems, I can't even find a good new 4S motor and tranny, I called Nationwide Access LLC (sikebikes/kings) direct today and they are telling me 2-4 weeks before new 4-stroke kits come in.

Even worse for me I guess since I already ordered a 4S SBP shift kit and it's on it's way.

About the NuVinci CVP internal shifting hub, and this is 1st hand experienced knowledge...

They simply won't hold up to a powerful 2-stroke motor with no 'cush' for long, I am seeing a darn near 70% failure on the few a friend and I built in 100 miles if not sooner, like 10 miles in one case.

I do however believe a more 'cushed' lower HP 4-stroke drive would be OK for a NV hub to handle so I am keeping that option open, but after riding mine for months I found the shifting I tended to constantly do annoying, I mean really annoying, and just use a 3-speed internal now.
If the motor has enough power to cover an entire gear range and then some, 3 gears is plenty for my desert riding.

You might want to look into a 5-speed internal Strumey-Archer hub for under $100 for you mountain riding needs, the total drive ratio range is only a bit larger than 3-speed, but that 1-3 range should make short work of your uphill climbs, and then an insane ratio for speed on the downhill side if want ;-}

I forgot bullets

Apr 17, 2012
Ss- co
That's what I was looking at.
Anywhere I could find a frame capable of that?
At sick bike parts on the product disruption it looks like a certain type is needed.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
While you're at it you might want to consider a shock absorber seat post. They will make your bike feel like it is a full suspension. Well maybe not quite full suspension but better than a soft tail and lots better than a hard tail. I'm naturally assuming you're going with a front shock type mountain bike.