Woohoo! Just went Over 500 Miles

GoldenMotor.com

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
I built my ride for the sole purpose of transportation to and from work. I have a lot of problems "breaking it in". But I am glad to say that I've been trouble free for the last 150 miles and I'm loving the ride...But now it's getting REAL cold in the mornings! I drive 4 miles to work, doing 30MPH top speed most of the time. There are 5 stop lights I get stuck at sometimes (oh the looks folks give me!) but its just a straight shot down the road, no turning involved. And there is this one hill (big @$$ hill) that makes my speed drop from 32 to 24 by the time I hit the top.

Future upgrades:
chrome muffler (already purchased, just no time to port and polish and mount)
Jackshaft kit
Front fork suspension
seat post shock
dual brakes, hopefully disk
new paint job
and maybe a performance carb (eh, why not right?)

and now how much have I saved?
well, I spent $50 on the bike, $250 on the kit, $50 on extra parts = $350 +/-
my truck gets 17MPG, so 500@17MPG ~ 29.5 gallons, now @ $4.00/gallon, that comes to $118.
my bike get ~160+/-MPG, so 500@160 ~3 gallons, now @$4.00/gallon, that comes to $12

so I saved $106 in gas. grrr, I need to ride for another 6 months to break even...and then I'm in the black!

Last edited:

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL
its always a wonderfull feeling watching the odometer turn and not the pedals. unless you pedal backwords while riding my favorite thing to do.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
You get 160 mpg's? Thats great! 133 here last I did the math on a China girl. I gestamate I save about 2k a year in gas using the bike for quick trips and around town runs.

aj356

Oct 9, 2008
El Paso
MrLarkins
Where did you get your kit from and what would you advice some of us newbies getting into this.

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
i got my kit from kingsmotorbikes.com but wouldn't recommend them...i've have problems and they haven't really been quick to help or even willing on a few occasions.
my recommendation is patience...and ask for help here.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
(^)I just rolled over 4000 miles on my first build it Could use a new set of cheapo cast iron rings by now, this thing still runs like new! These ch can last a long while!

aj356

Oct 9, 2008
El Paso
MrLarkins
Thanks for the info did you do any of the recommended upgrades before installing that are mentioned here for example the spark plug and gaskets? It seems you have a good setup and I am wondering if you should do these upgrades before installing.

Motoschwinn

Jun 27, 2008
Independence MO
i got my kit from kingsmotorbikes.com but wouldn't recommend them...i've have problems and they haven't really been quick to help or even willing on a few occasions.
my recommendation is patience...and ask for help here.
One thing to keep in mind Mr. Larkins, is that Kings motors seem to long lived. I have almost 3300 miles on mine and still running strong. Personally I think it's because it's a bushing style motor. It's all in the break-in. While they maybe lacking in customer service, I think they have a connection to slightly better motors.

Kings will address problems, in their own time.

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
i recommend new mounting bolts, an NKG spark plug, and new plug cap. and maybe a better inline fuel filter, the one from sickbikeparts.com is good

as for kings goes, I sent 4 complaints...2 were replied to, both were going to be replaced, yet only one was, but i had to wait 2 1/2 weeks for the part

when i first received the package the cap was broke, i waited 2 1/2 weeks for the replacement.

next the clutch case broke, they said they send a replacement, but never did...i get asking for 2 weeks, almost every day, leaving messages, emails etc...i never got that replaced. i ended up using jbweld.

the last two problems kings never even returned my phone calls or emails. stopped cold turkey. i followed all the break in procedures. my opinion is their service sucks. but i'm just one person.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Sorry to here that this has been a great motor. Say motoschwinn did you shave the piston skirt on yours, know some of these jugs have the carbs mounted lower clearing the skirt.It sure made a diff on mine?I think all these ch are fine, I am leaning tward the bushed right now