Getting it put together the motorized bicycle, Measure Twice

GoldenMotor.com

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Hello bout year later, but better than never, intro!

Briggs 3hp reconditioned 80's Era to go on 1960's 26inch era JC Penny frame with welding done to mount some parts.

Fixing shims necessary now to my washing machine pulley type rear hub attached to spokes drive.

Last time bending the 4 tabs on washing machine pulley made it such no shimming was necessary.

I just had this time around a different style washing machine pulley. Since I last made a motor bike the same way years ago, as far as the rear drive hub goes, the washing machine pulley now has the 4 tabs with a 90 degree ridge in them.

I just could not bend them. If I filed the ridge off, OK maybe.

The way the washing machine v-belt pulley go on uses wood pieces sandwiching the washing machine pulley tabs to the spokes.

Until recent I had not tightened them all down for the stress that riding it would require.

Then I saw a wobble side to side in the washing machine pulley. I’m now shimming this sandwich to have the pulley not distort.

Jackshaft and mini bike clutch to the v belt to go to the large washing machine pulley in the back hub.

Video on Viemo with link at Viemo Video to Flickr still pics of the assembly.

http://vimeo.com/24674619

Measure Twice

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Re: Getting it put together the MB, Measure Twice

Howdy and welcome. (snork, been around so long is cracking me up to type that)

Always thought you had a great nic. Is sage advice.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Re:Race / Getting it put together the MB, Measure Twice

I don't think so. Though for the effort you put in I really hope others get you happening there!

I saw the aerial photos of the place, neat!

I'm near San Jose, CA.

Measure Twice

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA

No excuses I know, but it takes time to build stuff when where you try to do your hobby and there is some element that says no not here. I push limits, but still have to play by the rules.

Dan. If I could have a shop with an inert gas welder, that would be great.

I looked at what you got and you should have HF keeping parts if anything needs replacing. I heard about some companies go bankrupt and then well. Hope that is not the case!

I think the types of Mig with reel as part of the wire feed hand held, seems not worth getting another 5 feet length. I know the one you got goes down the cord from the welder. The dexterity in hand issue I would not like that type.

I did not use Mig much and instead used time on Tig at a shop. Some of the evals for Mig Welders said the aluminum sometime jam in the length of the cord if not much bend, I expect since it is softer metal? I just welded on steel and had two hands going and 1 foor on the accelerator! Lot of snipping to have weld rod and the little parts left over, as you like to keep your fingers.

Measure Twice

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA

About 10 months later and the bike runs but I have a mod to make using 2nd jackshaft.

This so I can make an art motor bike that won't burn up the clutch by trying to keep under 5 mph pulsing the throttle.

47:1 ratio with a belt clutch and 5 more pulleys and 3 belts. 3.5 to 5.5 mph parade speed.

Also currently when tested with the 8:1 ratio the bike just got the clutch all enguaged and was about 15 to 20 mph then. This will heat the clutch up staring out and is not good for anthing than a desert time trial.

The 20:1 to 30:1 I will plan on getting other pulleys or if can work out use the ones I have mixing and matching to achive this ratio for 5 to 8 mph starting out. The high end 11 to 15 mph for hill climbing dirt bike when not looking like a California Sheepshead Fish mutant dirt bike.

MT

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA

Where I'm at now:

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=29678&page=13

and

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=29678&page=6

Another 2 years and yea I have a close to 40:1 ratio dirt bike. The picture in center of the 5 pictures on post #56 on page 6 show it without the training wheels that are since been modified for use only when I am using the art fish frame cover. There extended out further for more stability. Fish frame cover just started. Had probably just about 45 minutes riding offroading at BLM motorcycle trails. Use the rest of the time on a borrowed commercial machine.

MT

Last edited: