New guy from Pittsburgh.

GoldenMotor.com

Old Hippie

May 20, 2011
Pittsburgh, Pa
Just wanted to introduce myself. I just found this site a few days ago and it's great. I am 62 and recovering from cancer surgery. I figured riding a bike would be good exercise but with my condition and all the hills we have here I couldn't ride much. I found the motors listed on ebay and finally ordered one from BGF. I bought a mountain bike from target and put it together. I haven't gone too far yet still fine tuning brakes but this thing runs good. Some people think I'm nuts for getting into this at my age. I figure, I spent 4 years in the service (vietnam era), worked 10-12 hours a day for the next 40 years to support a wonderful family and now I wanted to build a plaything for me. I'll post some pics when I fiqure out how to do it. Thanks for all the helpful information thats here.brnot

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hey old hippy,
Welcome to the forum and a lot of other guys who are also getting up there in years. Membership here runs the gamut, but lots of geezers and geezers in training. I'm 66 and don't give a damn if my neighbors think I'm nuts or not. I'm having fun and not hurting anybody while I'm having it. It used to be the fun part was the riding and keeping the bike going was a hassle. Now the building is every bit as much fun and satisfying as the riding.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Regarding your recovery from cancer surgery... I think this motor bicycle activity is good medicine. Even without much pedaling it will get you out there and the best exercise of all is smiling a lot. I still after all these many miles of riding with a motor under me find myself tooling along with a smile on my face, being twelve again and sixty something all at the same time. Perfect.
I first got interested in a motor on my bike as a kid, like a whole lot of kids who dreamed of something real and not just playing cards on the spokes. My dad was not enthused with the idea so it did not happen until five or six years ago, when I was by then a grandpa. I had been having some health issues as the aftermath of being struck by lightning and surviving back in 1995. Then things took a turn for the worse when I developed Guillane Barre Syndrome which is a disease of the nervous system with effects like polio... which left me a kind of shuffling cripple and feeling pretty low. It was a struggle there for a couple of years, but I got somewhat stronger and started wondering if I could still ride a bicycle. I tried it and the balance part was OK, but didn't have enough sensation in my feel and lower leg strength to pedal far at all. So then I started thinking about a motor to help me... and many bicycles later and many motors come and gone with many new skills and friends which have come my way since due to this motor bicycling activity, here I am fooling with these things and riding as often as I can. It has been very good for me; good medicine for mind, body and spirit. May it be for you as well, sir. Good day. Having been dead and come back, every day I wake up is a good day. Ha!
SB

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Welcome to the forum!!!! Lots of good guys here and lots to learn. It is a blast working on these bikes. People think Im a bit strange with the bikes and all, but I think they are a bit off for not seeing the fun and beauty of these things.
Again
Welcome

Jan 13, 2011
WEST MIFFLIN PA
SB I guess I'm a geezer in training @ 46. But I never did wanna grow up, I think this hobby will aid in that. Constant grin n at.
Welcome to motorized bicycle riding ol hippie, We'll have to roll the locals into the double wide or hot metal diner sometime. Good to see more locals.

Old Hippie

May 20, 2011
Pittsburgh, Pa
.flg.Guys, thanks for greetings and encouragement. I think I'm going to like it here. You all seem nice and willing to help and share your experiences. I hope I don't come up with too many dumb questions..flg.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Yes, I think adulthood is highly over rated. My grand daughter confided to me when she was perhaps three years old, "Grandpa, I'm gonna be a dolt some day!" I replied, "God, I hope not."
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
.flg.Guys, thanks for greetings and encouragement. I think I'm going to like it here. You all seem nice and willing to help and share your experiences. I hope I don't come up with too many dumb questions..flg.
Dumb questions are OK. Our giving dumb answers is not OK. We were all new to this at some time or other.
SB